Episode 113: The Absolute Underdog

*Changying*

I popped out one of my panels of light, narrowly avoiding being hit by Renshu's kick. Since the magic was weak, the mirror reflecting it back didn't do much damage to him even at double the power. If it was of his stronger spells, it probably would've hurt him despite his fire absorption ability. However, his attacks failed to do much other than scratch the panels and those fixed themselves. It still felt like we were in a live game of whack-a-mole, with me as the mole.

Renshu smiled as he craned his head in my direction. A whip flew out of the sleeve of his dirt-covered red shirt.

I gritted my teeth and flew back inside the panel. My eyes widened as a whip flew at me. Renshu had launched whips at all the mirrors except the one that I'd emerged from. The whip hit my arm, flinging me back into the mirror before I could emerge. Another struck me as soon as I'd partially emerged. This plant spell wasn't normal. It was as if it could sense its prey, like a pitcher or some other kind of carnivorous plant.

Ugh! I had to cast another spell, but I couldn't if I continued being on the run like this! In that case, maybe I had to shift to using a level two. But even that would prove hard. Then that left me with base and level one spells.

"Jiānyìng de pífū!" I chanted. A shimmer of orange-brown energy radiated around my body, my once invisible to the untrained eye prana veil hardened into rock. Chunks of it were chipped off, but like the panels, my outer skin would regenerated itself.

"Rock, huh? You sure that's a good defense?" Shu asked, grinning.

Maybe it wasn't the best, but it was the best defensive spell that I could've used while being swung around like this.

"You're only dragging this match on," Renshu shouted, intensifying his attacks.

I closed my eyes as memories of getting pushed around flash before my eyes. Make it stop! Someone, please save me.

"Hey, Chang!" Shu called out as air rushed against my face. Was I falling? "Chang!"

My eyes twitched open. I found myself in the nurse's office. What happened?

"So, you're finally awake," Shu said, grinning as he looked over his shoulder. He was watching one of the next matches on television.

I rubbed my head. "What happened?"

"You had a panic attack," Ona said as he walked in with a carton of juice.

I hung my head low. Seriously? What a lame way to have gone down. I should've quit when Shu told me.

"Sorry," Shu said. "I didn't consider that my relentless attacks would dig back up bad memories."

"It's okay. I didn't think so either." Seemed that I hadn't gotten over it yet.

Ona patted my head. "You've grown very strong, Chang."

My cheeks reddened as I stared into his pine-green eyes. "H-have I?"

Renshu grinned. "Of course!"

He wasn't just saying that to make me feel better, right?

"Well, I better head to my match," Ona said, staring at the television. Orichalcum was on the ground.

"Seems Ning showed her win last year wasn't a fluke," Shu said.

"Not that she had to," Ona said as he walked out.

"Wasn't his match supposed to be after ours?" I asked.

"He asked to have it pushed back. So Ori and Ning went next," Shu said. "Want to go see his battle?"