Episode 99: Importance of Data

*Aurelius*

"I'm going to split the class in half. One part will be doing the written exam, while the other will be doing the circuit that I've prepared," Mr. Obi said as he walked around back and forth his his hand behind his back. "Hope you folks studied for this."

It wasn't just me that was nervous, all of the students were. Except for Carter who had on a big smile. Although, he was probably hiding it or maybe his earlier attempt to 'pump himself' worked.

Mr. Obi held his hand forward, causing a small piece of paper to appear in everyone's hands. Mine said circuit.

Carter frowned as he stared at his. He then looked up at Mr. Obi who was smiling.

"What did you get?" Kanja asked.

"The written exam," Carter answered with a slight grin.

"I got the circuit," Kanja said.

"Same here," I said, raising my small piece of paper.

"I got the circuit too," Lidia said, smiling.

Huoyin frowned as he stared at his.

"Let me guess. You got stuck with Carter?" Kanja asked.

He turned away. "You're making it sound like its a group assignment when it's not."

"Good thing it isn't," I said, scratching my head.

"Enough chatter. Go to your positions!"

"Where is that for the written part?"

"Stay seated. You'll see."

Carter and Huo did as told while the girls and I joined half of the class on the gym floor. Each area had a list of activities that Mr. Obi wanted us to do. Spherical golems with wings would fly around, taking our scores.

Lidia sighed as she stared at the ceramic pots. She had failed to break any. Even Kanja had only managed to break two of the three, with the first one being an unexpected failure. They clearly weren't normal pottery.

I patted her shoulder. "Cheer up, you'll ace the next one," I said, smiling. "Plus, I only got one too."

She nodded. "You're right. I can't give up!"

Kanja smiled at her score. At least one of us had done well. I only managed to break the third one.

"Wonder how the boys are doing," Lidia muttered as she glanced at Huo.

Huoyin stared intensely at his sheet as if pondering every possible answer. Carter on the other hand smiled as he jotted down the answers. Had his last minute studying helped that much? Or was he just guessing? Hopefully, the former.

Once we finished the circuit, we sat down on the opposite edge of the gym from the written students. Once time was up for them, our half of the class switched spots with Cart's half.

I stared at the exam. Some questions were multiple choice while others were to be written. The first few were relatively easy, but they started becoming harder the further I went. The fancy wording didn't help either. Good thing Mira spent some time teaching me new words at the library. Else, I might've not even known what was being asked.

"Woah!" several of the students said, drawing my attention toward the gym floor. Carter had shattered and melted one of the clay pots with his fire.

I smiled and returned to my test. So, his Renshu and Elliot's tutoring and his subsequent training with Alto was finally starting to bear some fruit.

My eyes darted back down toward Huo. He had his back to the happy Carter. Had he not done so well? No, it was his turn next.

Huoyin took a deep breath and spun his flames, forming a ring of fire around him. That pose, where had I seen it before? Wait, wasn't that the stance Adela and Renshu had? Was he trying to copy the Xian? The flames certainly were at the ready like Renshu's. Huo shifted his arms in front of him, drawing the flames out of the ring of fire and into his palms. The resulting sphere shot out, striking one of the pots. While not shattering it, the blast did melt it partially. How many points would that be?