Episode 72: Beginners and Pros

"Good to see you made it, N

"Good to see you made it, N.K. . I started to think that you wouldn't show," a voice called out. A boy with light green hair, olivine eyes, and a beautiful face appeared behind Enkai and patted his shoulder.

Cart stared at the new boy with wide eyes. As did Huoyin.

"Did you hear him approaching?" Carter asked.

Huo shook his head.

Now that he mentioned it, neither had I!

"Nor did I," Lidia whispered.

Enkai chuckled. "That's because Shuai is light on his feet."

Shuai extended his left foot outward and leaped, spinning in place as soon as he touched the mat.

"One has to have a gentle step if one plans to become the best dancer," Shuai said, smiling at us as he extended one arm outward and one behind him.

"His movements are as limber as yours," Lidia mumbled.

I glanced at Huo. "Wait, you have experience dancing too?"

He averted his gaze. "Y-yeah." He put a hand on his neck. "Grandma Suien taught me."

"Suien? Is that a caretaker at the orphanage?" Carter asked.

"No. It's his dad's mother," Lidia said.

Huo nodded. "She taught Father how to dance as well, but he hated ballet," the redhead whispered, looking down. "While a kind lady, she was a harsh teacher. It was as if she became a beast when it came to dance."

"Ballet is difficult," our teacher said, sighing. "Those who can't cut it often quit. That's why this class is often made up of those with past experience, such as Shuai and Enkai. Those who wish to go pro often are put on that path from a young age."

Mom had mentioned the same thing as well.

I glanced at the class. The various girls nodded.

Lidia swung her arms behind her back. Did she have any past with ballet? I had my mother's lessons, and Carter seemed to have dabbled in it as a kid.

"Even among those who do have experience, once the going gets tough, people start to drop out. Only the most determined remain," Shuai said, smirking. "Today will separate the wheat from the chaff."

His manner of speaking sounded familiar.

Enkai smiled. "Give it your all, you four!"

Lidia beamed. "Yeah!"

I giggled. He really could be rather energetic once he had something to eat.

Huo and Cart narrowed their eyes at him.

"Now, now. We have wasted enough time," our teacher said, clapping her hands. "I will be dividing you into groups. Since there are only seven guys and fourteen girls, you'll be in units of three."