Episode 62: Martial Battle

"Today was hard," Carter said

"Today was hard," Carter said. He swung his head back. Nat, Aurelius, and he walked with me toward the arena on the southeast corner of the island. I happened to run into them on the way out of my last class. Kanja too, but she said that she wanted to switch outfits.

"That test Mr. Obi gave us was difficult," Aurelius said as we hiked up the hill the Lodestar Arena was built over. It was smaller than the one where the finals happened, but it was still pretty impressive. However, both paled in size to the site where I'd met Hideo and his fellow knights. Sadly, that place didn't last long, having been destroyed a few days after its grand opening.

"Yeah. I think it was harder than the entrance exam itself. At least my next class was easier."

"Wasn't it Zionian?" Nat asked.

Carter nodded.

I smiled. "If you found it easy, then you must be a natural."

He rubbed his head and chuckled. "M-maybe! T-to be honest, I-I found m-my comprehension of the language perplexing. G-given I hadn't seen it prior. D-despite that, I felt acquainted with the language. M-Maybe in my past life, I was an angel!"

"You're talking funny," Aurelius said, laughing.

Cart blushed. "I-I still struggle to speak around pretty girls."

I smiled. He reminded me of kid Iah. When we first met, he could barely talk to me. Hard to believe that he became a casanova. Hopefully, Carter wouldn't end up the same.

Aurelius shook his head. "Not that. You're using words that seem odd hearing come from you."

Nat nodded.

He blinked and tilted his head. "That so? Why?"

"Well, it's just... You aren't very erudite," Nat said.

Carter rubbed his chin. "Erudite? Is that some kind of stone?"

Aurelius chuckled. "It does sound like one!"

Nat sighed. "It means someone who is smart."

"You were calling me dumb? Want to fight, huh? I'll happily give ya a rematch if that's what ya want!"

I sighed. "Boys, no fighting outside of official settings such as gyms, arenas, and specially designated areas," I said, waving a flyer.

Carter sighed. "But didn't Lei fight the Ogre's grandson outside of all those?"

I pressed the flyer against my lips. He had a point there. "Well, Lei sometimes breaks the rules, so he isn't exactly the best role model."

"R-Really? I-I want to be just like him!" Carter said, jumping up and down.

I giggled. "Can see why you would say that." I glanced up at the blue sky. "Even I find myself wishing that I were a little more like him."

Nat chuckled as he put both hands on Carter's shoulders. "Why are you so jumpy? Were you a bunny if your past life or something?"