Episode 29: Flame vs. Flame

"From a land east of Tozan Hoshi, the boy with the explosive flames and equally fiery passion, Cai Carter!" Sonata announced

Carter ran into the ring and waved at the audience who were glad to see the next match finally begin. Had Koukyuu told Sonata to delay things until they were all seated up in the skybox?

"His opponent, the fiery angel, Nate!" Sonata yelled.

I smiled slightly. Hearing her call me an angel made me jump a little. Fortunately, most of them probably assumed she meant it figuratively due to the spell I'd used against Kanja.

Carter grinned as soon as I entered the ring. He punched his left palm and spread out his legs. What was he going to do?

My eyes widened as he appeared in front of me and threw a fiery fist. I crossed my arms and shielded against the attack, but the force was enough to send me flying back several feet. Thought he had no time to train! How could he have improved since his match against Jude? Doubt he'd held back, considering how much of a seesaw that battle was. Could it be because I was watching him from a distance that I failed to understand just how fast he truly was?

"Why do you seem surprised? Didn't you watch my battle with Jude?" he asked, jumping back. "Aren't you going to cast a spell? Mr. Talented One?"

My arms slumped. "You're going to let me?"

"Nope," Carter said, appearing behind me.

I unleashed a flare of flames from my back, forcing him to leap away.

Carter thrust his hands forward as he leaped back, stopping my flames from searing him.

With a twirl of my fingers, the crimson flames transformed into a spiral of blue fire. My opponent grimaced as he tried to keep them at bay.

Cart let out a grunt and jumped into the air. My spiral of flames struck the barrier around the ring, causing it to fluctuate.

"What the..." Carter said, staring in awe. He landed several feet and vanished. With a spin, I performed an elbow jab, but there was no one behind me.

I looked in front and on my sides but he wasn't there either. My eyes darted toward the sky in sudden realization.

"Flaming Lion Barrage!" Carter screamed at the top of his lungs as his heel descended.

The sound of snapping echoed as I blocked with my arms. Carter winced and pushed away.

I knelt down, panting. It took more than I had anticipated to block his attack.

Carter rubbed his foot. "What is that arm of yours made out of?"

I smiled weakly. Felt a little bad as my body was more durable than most here thanks to my Zionian genes.

He narrowed his eyes at me. "What's with that smile? Are you looking down at me?" he snapped.

What was with the sudden change of mood?