Episode 38: Clash of Childhood Friends

"Begin!" Marina yelled

I rushed at Hika and swung my sword down, only for it to be blocked by his armored arm.

He pushed back against my sword and slammed me with an iron-covered fist.

I staggered back as the air was knocked out me.

Hika wasted no time, kicking me on the side.

I unleashed a gust of wind to block his next follow-up attack.

"Not bad, I can see that Yen's coaching is having some results," I said, smirking.

Hikaru smiled and formed metal stars and sent them flying at me.

I swung my sword, redirecting them back at him.

Hika shielded himself with his armored arm again and threw a blast of shrapnel at me.

Once more, I blew it off course. This time, Hika stopped the redirected metal with his magic.

"Metallum Angelus!" Hikaru chanted, clapping his hands. The shrapnel came together to form the outline of wings. Soon, a metal angel stood behind Hikaru like a sentinel.

Marina gasped. It was the spell inspired by her grandfather, after all.

The angel grabbed Hikaru and flew up toward me.

"Oh, you want to fight a sky battle? Being held isn't exactly the best way to fight."

Hikaru's angel fired multiple feathers at me.

I warped to the ground and fire off a lux at him.

His angel's wings encased him like a cocoon. Surprisingly, it remained afloat. Was it using magnetism to stay up?

My eyes widened as it dropped like a rocket even as the beam struck it.

I jumped back and watched as it crashed.

"What was that?" I asked.

Hikaru smiled as he jumped out of the bent metal cocoon.

"I reversed the polarity!" he yelled, throwing a punch from his gauntlet-covered arm.

I blocked with my sword and pushed back. "I see!"

Hikaru jumped back and fired multiple lux at me. I met them with some of my own. The collisions created spherical explosions of light that collapsed in on themselves like a dying star. Minus the black holes of course.

"Lux!" Hikaru and I yelled at the same time. Our beams of light vanished again. The two of us charged and pushed the other back.

Hikaru grunted as he formed several metal throwing-stars on his fingers. He threw them at my rays, cutting them apart.

I gasped and blocked with my sword.

"Nice one, Hika," I said, smiling. Maybe he would win after all.

I kicked the ground and covered Hikaru in walls of stone.