chapter forty-three

"Liyah, is it okay if I come stay at yours tonight?" Maya said as she walked beside Aaliyah as they walked through Heathrow airport. "Erm, let me.. let me check with Josh first because he's back and this will be our first night together since he left" she said as she texted on her phone. "Oh yeah, your right. Don't worry about it sis" she responded. Maya was dreading going home, she needed to stay somewhere else, somewhere that wasn't where Leon was.  "What's up? You not tryna go home?" Liyah asked, Maya shook her head with a smile "I just need a longer break from him, it's hard being around someone you can't stand" Maya said as they approached baggage claim, Acacia was already there. 

"I hear you, I'm ready to see my little angel" Aaliyah said as she grabbed her luggage. Before Maya could respond her phone started ringing and it was an unknown number, she stared at her phone for a while but chose not to answer it. Acacia walked over with her bags on a trolley, "Girls, Azrael is over the waiting for me so I'm going guys" she said as she hugged and kissed her friends. "Bye girl!" Maya said. As they walked towards the exit, Aaliyah turned to Maya, "You need a lift? Josh can drop you off? I'll even ask if you can stay" Aaliyah said, "Erm, yeah you guys can just drop me off at my aunts" she said, she was gonna go to her mum's sisters house. She couldn't stand her but it was better than being under Leon's thumb. 

As they walked outside they saw Josh coming out of his Lambo truck, Aaliyah felt butterflies in her stomach when she saw him. He looked like his old self but better, he was wearing a Gallery Dept tracksuit. He semi-jogged over to Aaliyah embracing her in a big hug picking her up, giving her a kiss on the cheek. "Maya" she immediately turned around when she saw the tall lightskin man standing there. She didn't say anything, she just stood there staring at him, she couldn't believe who was standing before her. He leaned in and hugged her, he kissed her forehead "You ready to go?" he said as he put his hand on the trolley and the other on her shoulder. 

He greeted Aaliyah and Bricks, "I'll see you later sis" Aaliyah said as she hugged her friend and started to walk towards the car. "Aaliyah!" Maya called out, Aaliyah turned to her friend as Bricks and the driver loaded the car. 

Maya opened her mouth to speak then Leon started squeezing her shoulder. 

"I'll.. I'll text you!" she said with a faint smile, Aaliyah smiled back as she climbed into the van. 

"Let's go home, we've got a lot to talk about" Leon said as he pushed her trolley. Maya stood still, "I don't want to go with you" she said as she looked at him up and down, He walked over to her with a smile and grabbed her shoulder gently but then started to squeeze. "I'm not playing with you. Your gonna get in the fucking car and were gonna talk about you and your disrespectful behaviour" Leon said with a smile on his face, "You don't want to talk, your gonna hit me and keep me trapped in the house like you did last time" Maya said.

Couple months back, Maya went out with the girls and because she was dancing, Leon hit her and kept her locked down for weeks. 

"Maya, if you don't come right now... I swear" he walked behind her to get her to start walking. He opened the passenger side door of his car and she sat down, he went and put her luggage in the boot and made his way over to their home. She noticed lipgloss in the cup holder and she knew it wasn't hers. Once Leon was seated in the drivers seat, he made his way to the house. 

The entire drive was silent and tense, Maya was so scared she was praying the drive could be shorter. Once they made it outside the house, Leon turned off the engine looking at her with his deep brown eyes with hints of green. "I'm gonna let you in the house, go wait upstairs for me" he said as he placed his hand on his chin looking at Maya. 

Leon believed that his feelings for Maya was love, he believed she was so beautiful he knew deep down, she could do better which is he felt the need to control her every move. He couldn't see himself doing life without her but he also wasn't ready to stop cheating.