32

CHARLES

I didn't know how to help her.

How on earth do you pick someone up from this?

Evelyn had lost so much already, I had no idea how to bring her through this.

"Here you go" I offer her the tea as she sat huddled on the corner of the lounge. Somewhere she had been every day for the past week.

I've got to hand it to her though, the only part of her life where she seems to be functioning is raising Peanut. Never once has she faltered in his needs. It's been her entire purpose since losing Lando.

"Is there anything else I can get you?" I ask as I settle down on the other end of the sofa.

She shakes her head before abruptly turning her attention toward Peanut's room at the slightest squirm from him.

"I've got him, its okay" I offer.

"No" she barks, "He needs me"

I know she's hurting, and I know she doesn't mean it personally when she has a go. But our days have been on repeat with her sitting in silence and then going off the handles whenever I offer to help her.

But it doesn't matter, no matter how much she tries to push me away right now, I'm not going anywhere. I can't leave her.

She disappears momentarily to tend to him before returning with him nestled up against her chest as she gently pats his back.

"Sorry" she apologises, settling back down on the couch and leaning him forward to rest in her stretched out forearms.

"You don't need to apologise to me, Ev"

"I do" she mutters, "I know you're only trying to help"

"It's okay Ev" I comfort. "I was thinking maybe we could take Peanut out to the park later? Get some fresh air, maybe go for a picnic"

"Stop" she mumble between my suggestion.

"I think I'd be good for us to get out and it's such a nice day to..."

"And what?" She barks, "go out and be family? News flash, you're not his dad. You never will be. You have to stop trying to replace him, Charles" she bellows before storming off to her room with Peanut in her arms, slamming the door behind her.

I let out a staggered breath and try and not let her words resonate with me.

Was I over stepping my mark?

I was trying not too. But I made Lando my own promises.

Whilst keeping an eye on Evelyn; I saw her sneaking into his room the night before his passing. I waited for her to have her time with him before she returned to the waiting area.

When I excused myself to the bathroom, I stopped in at his room.

Hey man, bloody hell you've got yourself in a pickle. Rumours have it you may not be making it out of this thing and honestly, nothing crushes me more than to admit that.

God, we've been racing against each other since the early karting days, sharing that same dream to get into the Formula 1.

I promise you though, no matter what happens, I've got you brother. I promise you. I'm going to be there for her. And for peanut. And I'm going to make sure he knows exactly how amazing and talented and special his dad was. And how much he loved his Mama.

No one can raise this boy the way you would have but I promise you, I swear to you man, I'm going to do the best I can to support her.

Whatever she needs, whatever he needs. They won't ever be without. I promise.