08

LANDO

"Was that my phone earlier?" I ask as I towel dry my hair from the shower.

Charlotte shakes her head, eyeing the turned over phone on the counter, "Nope"

Nodding my head understandingly I walk over and flop myself down on the couch, throwing my legs up on the length of the leather and resting my towel over the back of the chair.

Charlotte hands me a new cup of tea, most of my intoxication being washed down the drain. "Thankyou" I appreciate, bringing the ceramic up to my lips, blowing lightly before taking a sip.

"Feeling better?" She asks, hopeful.

I shrug my shoulders, placing the cup gently onto one of my legs, steadying it with my hand.

"It'll take some time." She informs.

"Are you going to try and reconnect with her?" I ask her, something I've been curious about since I got in touch with her when I'd come back to London after leaving the Verstappen cottage.

I had originally thought that updating Charlotte on Evelyn's current situation would be a good thing, that maybe she had confided in her about things about herself away from the track. But after watching how pulled back Evelyn was to Gabriel, someone that doesn't exist in her before, I wondered if it were a good idea.

"I'm not sure" she responds, "I wouldn't know what to say to her?"

I nod understandably, "For what it's worth, she really valued your friendship. And I'm really sorry I was such a dick"

She chuckles, "no, that's okay" she accepts. "It's getting late, I should probably go"

I nod in agreement, flicking my head to the wall as it reads 1:15am. "Thanks heaps for today. And I'm sorry about... all of this" I wave my hand down the length of my body.

"It's no trouble at all. I'm happy to be here whenever you need a friend" as I walk her to the door, she turns, giving me a look that sends a warning signal straight to the pit of my stomach.

I look away, opening the door behind her, "you get home safely okay" I try and offer a comforting smile.

When I finally lay myself into bed that night (morning), I flick open my phone, clicking on Evelyn's last message and then hitting the call button.

I just want to say goodnight.

Her phone doesn't even ring and sends me straight to voicemail. Trying again incase of a service issue, I get the same result.

Locking my phone in defeat, I slide it onto the bedside table and roll the opposite way, subconsciously listening for any alert tone to signal her response.

When it never comes, I close my eyes and fall asleep.

EVELYN

Arriving at the race track the following morning, I promise myself that boy troubles need to take a back seat. I miss the track. I miss Johan. I miss just being around this familiar place and travelling in the crazy, packed out schedules.