00:01- We'll See About That

"Take a look, (Y/N). What do you see?"

Looking at the deep wound, I took into account the fatty yellow flesh which was barely visible through the blood. It was approximately three inches wide, two inches deep. Without second thought, I stuck two gloved fingers into the wound to put pressure on the artery, wincing slightly when blood sprayed out. Blood splattered on my upper cheek and nose, causing me to reel back for a split second. 

"Laceration of the upper thigh, damage to the femoral artery."

I heard a grunt of approval and grabbed gauze from the side table with my free hand, pressing it deep within the gnash. The soft cotton seeped with blood, slowly turning it to red. I gnawed at my inner lip and looked to Dr. Helio, who was watching my hands. Knowing what I was thinking his hands replaced mine and I went to the table for the suture kit. Slowly picking up the needle and thread, attempting to loop the thread my hands began to shake. I looked to him and frowned.

"Maybe you should-"

"Finish it."

I sighed, and after many attempts, I was able to get the thread through the needle. Biting my tongue, I punctured the skin with the needle and began lacing it up. Watching both sides of the skin come back together, I thought to myself how nasty of a scar it would leave. Tying off the end, I looked to Dr. Helio, who seemed satisfied with my work. Glancing at the monitors, the heartbeat remained steady, and a breath that made my chest tight was released.

"Nicely done," He praised, running his fingers over the skin just above the wound. I stood up, pulling the bloodied gloves and apron off, disposing them both in the waste bin. Washing my hands thoroughly and drying them with a towel, I booped the small dog on the nose with my finger, rubbing his head. Still asleep from the sedatives, I couldn't help but laugh at the way it's tongue stuck out from its mouth.

"So," I prompted, still focusing on the stray out of nerves, "Business was slow tonight?"

"Oddly quiet. It was very unnerving." Dr. Helio squinted, and wrapped gauze around the dog's thigh. I shrugged and walked to my belongings in the corner, grabbing my cape and pulling it over my shoulders.

"Have somewhere to be?" The question arose from behind me. I glimpsed over my shoulder and sighed.

"Not particularly, why?" Cleaning up the other utensils we utilized, he frowned.

"The streets aren't safe at night. We have been up for longer than usual," With pursed lips, I cocked a brow at him.

"And when do we ever get done with work early?"

"I've been seeing tragedies on the news and it is well after midnight. Please make haste. I would hate for my best apprentice to become injured."

I chuckled and muttered under my breath, "I'm your only apprentice." 

Exchanging our usual goodbyes, I walked upstairs and out of the speakeasy, which looked like an abandoned space for rent on the outside. Dr. Helio and I have been partners for over two years now, bringing in wounded off the streets. He trains me every day, hoping to make me into the one to take over his business. We usually work with humans or omnics, but tonight we fortunately found a stray dog and couldn't say no. He quite literally gave us puppy dog eyes. 

However, what inflicted the wound, we had no idea, but it was a bad laceration and he was just left to die. I was particularly well with machinery, excelling at wounded omnics. I am just in need of working with humans in order to meet Dr. Helio's expectations. We do it under the radar, so if we were to be caught all hell would break loose. No license- but a doctor with a speakeasy, and an apprentice with the desire to make a difference.