park jongseong - fourth of july

a/n: so my phone screen stopped working properly and for that reason i'm writing this on my school chromebook...and uhh, i'll copy and paste into wattpad using google docs on my phone. yeah, hooray (?)

Tw: none

linden :)

You were not too sure how you ended up friends with Jay. You couldn't be more different, and you were certainly not one to talk to random people outside of friendly conversation. Yet sometime in seventh grade through an estranged social studies project, the two of you drifted together. By the time you were seniors, you were closer with him than anyone else you knew. It was your last summer together before you went off to different colleges and it was your goal to make the most of it. You spent nearly every day together in June and now the endlessly hot first month of summer had slipped into July. You'd proposed the idea of watching fireworks together for your last fourth of July and although hesitant, both your parents agreed. Now in the car together, you flipped through music channels as the fresh night air gusted in through the open windows.

You let out a breathy sigh of contentment as the car pulled into a parking lot. Your first stop was to get pizza. You both got out and shut the doors behind yourselves, gravitating towards each other as you approached the building. Jay slipped his hand calmly into yours. An unconscious gesture of affection. He was a lot more touchy feely as the years passed and you truly did not mind it.

"The thingy looks kind of like a smiley," You pointed out the sign for the pizza parlor as you both walked in, eliciting a small chuckle from Jay. "Kind of." He mumbled. You felt him brush his thumb across the back of your hand before searching for your order in the pizza pick-up section. You leaned over beside him, searching with your eyes. "Oh, here. This is it, right?"

Jay dipped his head near your shoulder, squinting at the label. "Yeah, that's it." He confirmed. You grabbed the box with a grin, delighted at the warmth seeping through the cardboard and into your fingers. The smell wafted up into your face as you spun on your heel and gleefully, though not literally, hopped off towards the door. Jay followed closely behind, humming a tune as you crossed the parking lot and got back into the car. With the pizza box secured, he drove a little farther then parked in another parking lot. This one had a clear view of where the fireworks would be and there were already people sitting on lawn chairs on the asphalt and laughing loudly. The air hummed with warmth and a happy energy as Jay reached above your heads to push open the sunroof. "Let's sit on the roof-." He huffed as he pulled himself up to sit, legs dangling down into the passenger compartment. You laughed and handed the pizza up to him. He set it behind himself then reached down to help you up. You leaned into him as you wobbled, laughter still sputtering out of you. Jay burst into a peal of giggles, bumping your head with his, "What? What's so funny?" He gripped your hand then twisted around to grab the pizza box and set it on his lap. You shook your head, your cheeks flushing with heat. "I'm just happy."

"Happy." Jay repeated. He smiled, "I'm glad."

"Shut up." You mumbled. Jay snickered, his nose scrunching up as he smiled, "Aw, too cringy for you?"

"Yeah, too much sappy shit." You leaned into his shoulder and flipped open the pizza box with the arm that wasn't pressed up against his side. You reached into the bag slung around your shoulder for hand sanitizer and napkins, setting them neatly in the lid of the box. "You started it." Jay held out his hand for the sanitizer, eyes on the sky as it dipped into darkness. A few stars rose above your heads and the soft roar of laughter and chatter around you quieted in anticipation. You furrowed your eyebrows, rubbing hand sanitizer onto your skin. "It's starting? What's the time?" Jay glanced at you out of the corner of his eye and pulled out his phone, "Exactly 9:30. I think they're starting."