nishimura riki - misunderstandings [part 2]

a/n: u know where this is going

tw: angst :(

828 words

- linden

It was late.

Both your parents were out so you were staying together at Riki's house. But it was late. It was past eleven'o clock and he wasn't back yet. He wasn't answering your texts or calls.

Stupid dance practice.

You sat anxiously on the fluffy couch, fiddling with your hair. You turned on your phone and stared at the brightness of the screen for a moment before opening up your messages.

You
Riki where are you?
It's really late

Nisco
[Seen 11:10pm]

You wanted to curse, you wanted to scream. What was happening and why wasn't he back yet? Was he avoiding you? Was he okay? Did you do something wrong?

You opened up a different contact.

You
Riki's not back yet

Bestie
what if he's cheating

You
ARE YOU INSANE?
why are you thinking the worst

Bestie
this isn't the first time he's been out late

You
he wouldn't

Bestie
you never know

You
SHUT UP

[Bestie is offline]

You glared at your phone screen. How could she think that? She didn't know Riki. He was slow to open up, but when he did he was so, so, caring and acted like a puppy who just wanted all the love and attention in the world.

You threw your phone to one corner of the couch and pulled your knees to your chest.

You looked up when you heard the door. Your pout turned to a smile as you got up, running through the house. You slowed to an almost-stop at a corner before turning and running again.

You launched yourself at Riki who greeted you with a grin. He braced the two of you against the doorframe so you wouldn't fall. When you released him, you went to close the door and he walked off to drop his bag by the kitchen table.

"Where were you?" You asked as you trailed after him. You saw the smile slowly melt if his face. He didn't answer and went to wash his hands, staring at the water falling over his fingers. "Riki?" You asked. Some part of your mind thought about your friend's message. You shook away the thought.

"You know, my parents and I have to move back to japan." He said softly.

You looked away. You knew that. You always knew that. He was no more than an exchange student. "I know." You whispered.

He dried his hands on a towel and gently touched your knuckles. "We're leaving soon."

You also knew that.

Your best friend's message flashed in your mind again. Was he hiding something? No. He couldn't be.

You looked up at Riki. He winced at the tiny raindrops of mistrust in your eyes. You knew all of this already, and he knew that.

"Riki.."

"I'm sorry." He tightened his grip on your hands as if he never wanted to let go. As if he couldn't bear to see you leave. "What?" You asked.

You were innocent to everything. You were innocent to the world. You were innocent to Riki's regrets, you were innocent to his mistakes.

"Riki?" Your voice came out small and your eyes were wide and clear like a lamb's.

He didn't want to say it. He really didn't want to say it. Forget breaking your pencils, he would be breaking your heart. It would be like he'd stabbed you with those shards of splintered wood and graphite.

"Riki?" You asked again. You tilted your head a little in confusion. You didn't know what he was going to say next. All you could think in that moment was that there was no way your friend was right. Your best friend was utterly, completely, wrong.

"I didn't mean to kiss her."

You were wrong.

All you could do was stare at him, not understanding, not processing. "What? Kissed who?"

"A girl on the dance team." Riki looked down at his feet. A slow tear trickled down his cheek. Then another, and after that another. It looked like crystals were falling from his eyes.

You still stared into space, not thinking, not feeling Riki's tight hold on your hands. You couldn't bring yourself to hate him for this. You couldn't yell, you couldn't be dramatic, you couldn't even cry like in the movies and books.

All you could do was stare in silence.

You pulled Riki close to you and patted his back gently, "It's okay." You whispered. Riki pulled away from you and stared at you as if you were insane. His eyes were cold, "Y/n, I kissed someone else. Someone but you got to taste my lips."

"Don't cry." You whispered. You went to wipe the tears from Riki's cheeks, but he caught your wrist. His voice was soft. "Please, be mad at me. Do something."

You just stared up at him. "Riki I can't." You smiled softly and you finally felt the watery prick of tears threatening to fall past your eyelashes. "I love you too much."