yang jungwon - square one [promises]

note: "i overdosed, should've known your love was a game~ now i can't get you out of my brain~ ooh it's such a shame~."

tw: sad

1564 words

- linden

"Come to me whenever your feeling down."

"Promise you'll be there?"

"Promise."

————

Sometimes promises feel like jokes. Like gag gifts or rumors. They seem so real and true at the time and you fill yourself up with those promises only to later find that those promises were all fake and you're helplessly craving for an alien sense of security.

————

"How many significant others have you had before me?" Your voice was almost a whisper. Having just confessed to your crush and been accepted, your adrenaline levels hadn't come down from their spike and your heart was beating against your ribcage in a way that would've bruised it if not for a fact that it was a metaphor.

Your crush was Yang Jungwon. Sometimes he was quiet, sometimes he was loud. Sometimes he was cute, sometimes he was glaring or looking quite the opposite of cute. He had dimples and his eyes were big and round and deep. It was a wonder he could ever look scary, but at times, he did.

This wasn't one of those times. His cheeks were flushed and he wore a little smile that made his dimples appear. He looked a little concerned at your question. He glanced at the parking lot ground then at the school across the expanse of blacktop then hesitantly back at you. "Six."

"Why...why did you break up with them?" You asked nervously. He looked up and studied the cloud swirled sky for a moment before looking back at you with a small fluffy frown.

"One girl broke up with me because she was moving. I broke up with the others because..." He shrugged sadly. "I fell out of love."

How were you to know whether or not that would happen to you too?

Jungwon continued, "I think it was obvious. My relationships with those I broke up with were never the strongest. All of them I've never truly kissed."

"Then..what about me?"

Jungwon studied your face with his eyes soft; melty, almost. "Maybe.." He murmured. You started to take a step forward but faltered. "Maybe what?" You asked. He shook his head. "I'm not sure. Do you want to try it with me?"

Did you? Did you want to try it with him? Were you willing to risk a broken heart for Yang Jungwon?

You nodded. "I do. I do wanna try."

Jungwon smiled.

————

Your one month anniversary came, then two, three, four, five, six, seven..all the way to one year. You hadn't ever thought you could go this far. You wondered what your past self would think of this.

Your past self would be in awe, you thought. Your past self would be amazed and hopeful and doubt the fact that anything could ever go wrong. After all, Jungwon had kissed you, unlike so many others.

The day he kissed you, you became sure that he was in love with you and this wonderful feeling would never end. You only became surer that you were in love with him.

You had been sad and mopey all day for no apparent reason. It might of been the stress school had been weighing on you lately, or maybe it was the grayness of the sky outside and the dark rain dashing at the ground.