Dead (Chapter 17)

Shouta POV

  I glanced around as heroes and students all caught their breath, everyone was injured in some way, and some were worse than others. By now all the villains have retreated, the only ones that haven't retreated are the ones who were captured or knocked out by us. We were all spread out amongst the woods, it was hard to tell where everyone was, I could only hope all my students were okay. "Aizawa Sensei," I hear problem child call out, I walk over to him as he is on a stretcher fixing to be put into an ambulance "Toga took some of my blood, so be careful," he says I nod "We'll keep an eye out," I say before walking away. I glanced around looking for the rest of my students, I found most of them but the others would say they saw this student in this area just a minute ago, but the only one people haven't seen was Shinsou. "Bakugou," I call out once I see him glancing around worriedly, he walks over to me "Have you seen Hitoshi," he asks worriedly and I shake my head. "I was about to ask you the same thing," I say concerned, we both continued to look around asking people, until we saw him but there wasn't something right about him. He was smiling happily as he got closer before frowning and looking around concerned once he got near us "Sensei, is everyone okay," he asks and I furrowed my eyebrows, looking over him, he had only a small scratch but his scarf was torn and drenched in blood. "Yes, are you injured," I ask and he glances at his scarf before shaking his head "Oh no, this was from a villain," he says smiling. "You're acting weird, are you okay," Bakugou asks and he smiles before nodding "Of course Bakugou," he says smiling, Bakugou and I shared a glance before I used my capture weapon on him but he quickly dodged it. This, of course, caught the attention of many others, students, and heroes, he smirks and his eyes flash yellow "Geez y'all are no fun," Toga says still in Shinsou's form. "Where is he," Bakugou asks angrily, other heroes and students all got ready to attack if she tried anything "That's for me to know and y'all to figure out," she says smirking "Tell us now," I say angrily trying to use my scarf on her. She dodges it again "Calm down Eraserhead, here," she says before tossing the scarf at my feet, "Thought you might want it since it's the only thing left of him," she says smirking. "What did you do to him," Bakugou yells angrily "Oh nothing, his blood taste so sweet but not as sweet as Izuku's, you should've seen his face of betrayal when slashed his throat open when he thought I was Izuku," she laughs. "Where is he, Toga," I ask angrily "I don't know where he is specifically but I can tell you his body is somewhere at the bottom of the cliff," she says before we could react a portal opens behind her and she enters.

  We stand there for a moment after she disappeared, we were going through so many emotions, "She has to be lying," Bakugou says storming off towards the cliff that was in the woods. I finally make myself move before following him, a few pros and students follow after us, and we make it to a clearing along the side of the cliff. We look at the bottom of the cliff seeing nothing but a horrible-looking river, "Hey, this must be the villain he was fighting," Momo says, we look towards her seeing her kneeling next to an unconscious villain. A few pros walk over to her and take the villain, "If Toga told the truth, if he hit that water from this height he would have died on impact, it would be like hitting concrete but if he didn't the water would to strong even if he was a great swimmer the water would drag him under," Midnight says as she stands next to me and Bakugou. "There's always a chance," Bakugou says his voice cracking a little "There is a horrible waterfall at the end of the river, if he survived both he wouldn't be able to get out, he would've fallen off the waterfall that holds several sharp rocks at the bottom plus it would be like hitting concrete once he fell, that would be another injury, he would be dead by now," a pro hero says sadly. "Come on, we need to get back and take care of all injuries as well as reports, we'll do a water search for his body tomorrow afternoon, hopefully by then his body has washed up on shore somewhere," Midnight says sadly walking away. We stood there as everyone walks away just staring at the bottom of the cliff, I let out a shakey sigh before placing a hand on Bakugou's shoulder. I could feel him trembling "I-I know kid, I know," I say squeezing his shoulder "I told him to stay by my side but we got separated," he says quietly "It's not your fault, you didn't know, nobody did, this is just things that happen for being a hero," I say before sighing again. We stood there for another minute before we finally walk away, we and the rest of the uninjured students loaded the bus, to head back.

  The ride back to the school was very quiet, no one dared to speak or make a sound, the whole ride I held onto Shinsou's scarf which was now covered in his dried blood. Bakugou just sat silently next to me, holding part of the scarf, he didn't yell at anyone who placed a hand on his shoulder. Once we got back and I got everything settled, I headed home, I let Bakugou hold the scarf, he needed something of his and we had his whole room at our place. I arrived home not long later and quietly entered the house, I saw Hizashi look at me surprised before glancing behind me and frowning "Shouta, what are you doing back so soon, where's Hitoshi," he asks concerned. "Eri, go to your room for a minute," I say and she nods before leaving for her room, once she's gone, I sit on the couch and hug Hizashi before finally letting it out. "H-Hitoshi's gone, he's dead," I sobbed as I cling to Hizashi, he also clings to me "A-are you sure," he asks his voice breaking. "They didn't find his body but from all the evidence and possibilities there are many ways he could've died but none of them resulted in survival," I say "We failed him," I continued sobbing, we cling to each other until I fell asleep, which didn't take long thanks to exhaustion.

  The next day we all had to reluctantly return to school, nothing felt the same, reporters were outside the school when we arrived. Everyone was asking about the unknown student who died in the tragedy of the training camp, and as his family, we denied to release any information. All students and teachers returned to school, no one was the same, no one dared to speak of the tragedy or even speak at all. There were a few students who did make comments but they were all quickly forced to shut up by Bakugou and the rest of my students. Everything was sad and depressing, it was going to hurt for a while but eventually, maybe not today or any time this week, we were going to be able to move on. Just that today was not going to be that day, Bakugou clung to his scarf the whole day, it was very heartbreaking, it took every will in my body to not cry, some students did cry, and this was going to take time.