Chapter 6: Exams Part 2

He made his way through the forest and emerged into an open area where an abandoned and destroyed structure stood. There, he spotted small chest pieces coated with a sweet-smelling substance.

Jaune: Those must be the relics!

He walked over to the pieces, realizing that he was all alone. He wondered if he was the first one to arrive.

Jaune: I may not have a partner, but I hope I come across someone without a teammate as well.

He picked up one of the relics and held it up, taking a sniff.

Jaune: Yeah, it smells sweet...

Voice: Hey Jaune! Over here!

Startled by the voice, Jaune turned to his right and saw Yang and Blake walking towards him and the relics.

Jaune: Oh, hey Yang and Blake!

He waved happily at them, and Blake smiled slightly while Yang waved back.

They reached his side, and the three of them began talking.

Jaune: I take it you both are partners, right?

Yang: Yup! Although she's quite quiet.

She laughed as she grabbed a relic, while Blake looked at Yang and then at Jaune.

Blake: She's very... loud.

Jaune smiled and snickered.

Jaune: Well, you'll be with her for four years, so it seems like you'll have to find a way to work together.

Yang: Oh! I found a pony!

She called out to them with a smile as she held up a horse chess piece.

He found Blake's situation quite amusing, and Blake sighed at both what Jaune said and Yang but did show a slight smile as she walked away to take a relic. She had hoped to be Jaune's partner, but it seemed she would have to make do with a less preferable teammate.

Yang: Well, that wasn't too hard.

Blake: Not like this place was very hard to find.

After a few moments of silence, they heard crashing noises in the distance. Blake and Jaune looked up, sensing something falling towards the ground.

Ruby: Heads uuuuuuuup!

Just as she was about to hit the ground in panic, Jaune leaped up using his physical strength and caught the falling Ruby. Gravity caused Jaune to descend rapidly, but his physical endurance allowed him to land safely on the ground without any damage, holding Ruby in his arms.

Ruby: Huh? Oh hey, Jaune! Thanks for the save!

Jaune: Why were you falling from the sky?!

Blake: Did your sister just fall from the sky?

Yang: I...

Before Ruby could reply, several crashing noises were heard in the forest ahead of them, and an Ursa emerged, swiping its claws, only to be hit by a pink blast of energy. It crashed to the ground, and its rider was thrown off.

Crazy Girl: YEEEE-HAAAAW!

She rolled off the creature's back, then got up and groaned in disappointment.

Crazy Girl: Awwww... It's broken.

She dashed onto its neck and observed the carcass as Ren, the guy Jaune realized must be her partner, called out to her and approached.

Ren panted and leaned on the Grimm.

Ren: Nora! Please... Don't ever do that again.

He looked around and noticed that Nora had run off again, indicated by the pink dotted outline where her partner should be. He frantically searched for her.