Chapter 5: Exams Part 1

The morning arrived with little happening, aside from a boisterous girl following a quiet boy around as they went about their morning routines. Jaune, accompanied by Blake, Yang, and Ruby, headed to the armorer to collect their weapons.

Ruby: I wonder what those two are so excited about.

Jaune shrugged.

Yang: Who knows? So, you seem unusually cheerful this morning!

Ruby: Yep! No more awkward small talk or "getting-to-know-you" stuff. Today, I'll let my sweetheart do the talking.

She lovingly stroked her crescent rose.

Yang: Well, remember, Ruby, initiation isn't just about you. If you want to grow, you need to meet new people and learn to work together.

Ruby sighed in frustration.

Ruby: You sound just like Dad! First of all, what does meeting new people have to do with fighting? And secondly, I don't need others to help me grow up! I drink milk!

Jaune: Ruby, she didn't mean it that way.

Yang: Jaune is right, Ruby. What about when we form teams?

Ruby became nervous.

Ruby: Um, I don't know. I guess I'll just join yours or Jaune's team or something...

Yang brushed her hair over her shoulder, giving it a thoughtful stroke.

Yang: Ruby, you need to open yourself up to meeting new people. You can't just stay by my side all the time.

Ruby: Are you implying, dear sister Yang, that you don't want to be on the same team as me?

Yang: What? No! Of course I do-!

Jaune: Ruby, she means that you won't meet new people if you're not willing to put yourself out there. You need to express yourself without holding back due to nerves. I may not know much about you, but I'm sure that you can do it and make a lot of allies if you believe in yourself and stay open.

His inspiring speech worked, and Ruby nodded slowly.

Ruby: I understand...

Jaune: Don't worry, Yang, Blake, and I are here to help you.

He smiled, while Blake blinked in confusion, having been zoning out.

Blake: Huh?

Ruby smiled back.

Ruby: Thanks, Jaune!

Jaune: I'll be heading to the cliff. I'll meet you all there.

He started to walk off, and Ruby quickly grabbed her weapon, catching up with Jaune. Meanwhile, Blake noticed and left with Yang to retrieve their weapons from their lockers.

Later, they arrived at the cliff, overlooking a forest. Several students, some familiar and some new, stood on silver tiles in front of Professor Ozpin, holding a mug, and Glynda with her tablet.

Ozpin: You have trained for years to become warriors, and today, your abilities will be evaluated in the Emerald Forest.

Glynda: Now, many of you have heard rumors about team assignments. Allow us to clarify. Each of you will be given teammates today.

Ruby: What? Ohhh...

Ozpin: These teammates will be with you for the rest of your time here at Beacon. So, it's crucial to be paired with someone you can work well with.

Ruby groaned.

Ozpin: That being said, the first person you make eye contact with after landing will be your partner for the next four years.