Wakas

Wakas
Gon's Point of View

Growing up, I have always been under the heat of the sun. My skin was so used to its harsh kiss. Underneath it, I was so used to hurting... to burning.

And it was the usual thing, like a routine.

I willingly let it burn me, because at the end of the day, after riding my horse through every picket fences and vast fields, I will always find a shade under a tree.

"Will you be in the rodeo with Petrus tomorrow?" Irish placed her right hand on my chest while the other clung unto my biceps.

I leaned towards the bark of the tree more comfortably now. I let out a sigh and glanced at her who's now looking at me expectantly with a sweet smile.

"No. I'll be coming back to the Philippines tomorrow."

I lazily tore her off of me and started untying my horse from the tree.

While I was attending to my horse, she was silent. Hindi siya nakaimik ni kahit na isang reaksyon. Like she's surprised and she couldn't seem to digest what I just said.

Alam ko namang hindi talaga ako mananatili rito. Uuwi at uuwi ako sa Pilipinas. That's where our family businesses are. And my old man is getting older, he needs help.

Isa pa, I just decided yesterday to fucking quit rodeo. So there's nothing left for me to do here. That Open Bull Ride I participated on yesterday was nothing but bullshit. Everything I've been doing was nonsensical.

Sure, the adrenaline and the dangerous situations I've been put in made me feel alive. But other than that, it was nothing but trash. All for momentary satisfaction and entertainment.

All those years and it's only when I quit rodeo that I appreciate those vegan protesters, huh?

Ewan ko ba kung bakit ngayon lang pumasok sa kokote ko ang maling pinaggagawa. But I think it's not too late to change now. Babaguhin ko na rin ang lahat ng dapat, lalong-lalo na ang pambababae. That will do me no good.

"But Gonsalvus, what will happen to us?"

'Saka ko lang naramdaman ang paggalaw ni Irish nang nagsimula na akong sumampa sa kabayo. I put on my hat as I look at her with a languid smile.

"We'll remain friends, Irish."

"B-But I thought we had something special going on between us?"

"Yes, our friendship was special," I said before leaving with my horse and waved my left hand as I turned my back from her.

She's probably going inside their barn house now. Hindi ko na narinig ang kahit na anong protesta mula sa kanya kaya pinatuloy ko ang pagpapatakbo sa kabayo palabas ng property nila.

That was the last thing I did abroad. I did say goodbye to my friends in the rodeo, pero hindi sila naniniwalang titigil na ako sa kakasali doon.

But whatever they say, I'm quitting every bad habit that I have learned.

And make a new start...

Sabi ko sa sarili, magsisimula ako ng malinis. Nilubayan nga ako ng rodeo kaso may lapit naman ng lapit sa akin.

She suddenly popped out of nowhere. Kaagad na nagpapahiwatig ng interes sa akin.

But why is she only bothering me now? Ilang buwan na akong nakauwi rito sa El Valencia ah? Bakit hindi niya sinimulan ng maaga?

I smirked mockingly for myself. Nagrereklamo pa talaga ako kung bakit ngayon pa lang siya nagpakilala?

I should stop this now. I shouldn't even look at any girls and start handling the business seriously now that I'm in El Valencia. I'm the eldest of the Cavalleros so I should be more responsible.