Kabanata 37

Week

I stood still. My thought process stopped. I can't even utter any reaction to that.

"Tequila? Are you listening to me? Anak... kita," she whispered so weakly as she made me sit back down.

Akmang lalapit na siya sa kinauupuan ko nang itinaas ko ang kamay ko at umiling-iling sa kanya.

"H-How am I... your daughter?" I laughed incredulously.

I don't believe her. I don't want to believe her.

Sa lahat ng taong magkakilala kami, ngayon niya pa lang napiling umamin? Throughout the years that we have been close to each other?

Heck! She could have even told me in the face the first time we met!

"I was one of the househelps in your father's mansion back then. I... I had an affair with Javier and I never thought about the consequences at first. I thought I was so in love with him. Turns out I was just naive!"

I massaged my temples, trying to ignore her regretful cries.

'S-Saka lang rumehistro sa akin ang maling nagawa nang nagbunga ang patagong pagkakaroon namin ng relasyon. I was ruining his marriage with Hilda! I was unconsciously hurting another woman!"

I scoffed.

Now that I know, my respect for her... wavered.

"I couldn't think properly that time. So I just left you with your father..."

"And you never came back."

Hindi ko na mapigilan pa ang panunuya ng boses pati ng ekspresyon.

My feelings are all tangled up right now! Shock, doubt, and resentment. But the latter lorder all over my emotions.

Ang tanging gusto kong sagutin niya rito, bakit sa hinaba-haba ng panahon naming magkakilala, ngayon niya pa lang napiling umamin? She's saying all of this right now because her husband threatened her?

Is this even the right timing? How about those times we spent together? No'ng panahon na um-attend siya sa graduation ko? Those times she took me out shopping? Or even those times we quietly spent our dinners whenever she invited me to go out?

"I... I tried to came back for you. But when I saw how Hilda started treating you as her own child even though it must have been so hard for her, made me hold back. I couldn't just try ruining her life the second time."

Her sobs are now unstoppable and her shoulders are shaking uncontrollably.

Pilit siyang inaalo ni Tristan pero hindi maawat-awat ang pag-iyak niya.

But somehow, throughout her cries, hindi ko yata mahanap-hanap ang awa para sa kanya. I can't even grasp the chance to understand her.

It seems to me that all that she's saying right now, are nothing but plain excuses.

I can't think rationally and I'm tired to even try. Masyado akong nilulukob nga biglaang mga emosyon.

"Three years after leaving you, I... met Tristan's father. He was from a wealthy family and it was foolish of me to ask him for help. But that's when I finally made up my mind to get you from your father. Akala ko, makukuha kita gamit ang koneksyon ng napangasawa, pero labis ang pagtutol niya sa aking gawin ito."

She tried to find support from my hand that's placed on the table. But I fidgeted. Iniwas ko agad ito bago pa man niya ako mahawakan.

She gasped. Napayuko siya at tila naiintindihan niya naman yata ang reaksyon ko.