Kabanata 28

Distraction

"Gon's secretary? Are you still there?" the drunk girl's voice continued on the other line.

Gon glanced at me and I can't help but give him a glare. I crossed my arms and let myself sink in the passenger's seat.

A ghost of a smile appeared on his lips before he cleared his throat and paid attention to his phone that's on the dashboard.

"She's not my secretary. She's my girlfriend."

Malapad ang ngising iginawad niya sa akin pero sinuklian ko lang iyon ng pag-irap.

"H-Huh? Girlfriend?"

Rinig ko ang unti-unting paghina ang music sa background ng babaeng tumawag. Tila lumabas pa siya ng bar dahil sa narinig.

"Did I hear it right, Gon? You have a girlfriend? She's there with you?" the panic is suddenly evident on the girl's voice.

Parang bigla pa siyang nahimasmasan mula sa pagkakalasing.

"Yes. So, I won't go anywhere tonight. I'm taking her home," Gon replied back casually.

Mariin akong napapikit dahil sa isinagot niya. Hindi ko alam kung kikiligin ba ako sa pinagsasabi niya o maaawa sa babaeng tumatawag sa kabilang linya.

It's obvious that the girl was trying to flirt with him awhile ago and now he just dropped off the girlfriend declaration right off the bat.

I mean, there's nothing wrong with what he said. I even like it.

But I just can't believe how he's so oblivious about what the person on the other line is feeling.

"Okay... t-this is Maxine, Gon. Aren't you really going to come here for me tonight?" the girl's voice sounded sweetly desperate.

My brows creased at what she said. The audacity!

Gon shook his head, his expression seems upset, almost to the point of disgusted.

Hindi ko na napigilan pa ang ang paghagalpak ng tawa sa kabila ng iritang nararamdaman. This girl must be seriously drunk.

"Sure. Gon will be there. Deep dive, right?" I smirked.

Gon's eyes widened and he shook his head once again, as if telling me to stop whatever I'm thinking right now. Too late, though.

The girl on the other line lightened up and she laughed as if she's relieved of something.

"I knew it! You're just with your secretary, Gon. She even agrees that you should loosen up from being such a workaholic." She giggled like a fool.

I smiled sarcastically at the phone that's on the dashboard as if the person from the other line could see me. I then ended the call before the girl could even express more of her excitement.

Hindi naman makaimik si Gon sa tabi ko. He is just looking at me incredulously and now his expression is in between amusement and cluelessness.

"What was that, Tequila?" Hindi na maipinta ngayon ang hitsura niya.

He doesn't look mad. His expression just looks like something weird and extremely bizarre happened.

"Fling mo?"

"No. If I remember it correctly, she's a friend of a friend."

"Talaga ba, Gon? It seems like you're bar buddies or something." Tila hindi na mabura-bura pa ang sarkastikong ngiti sa labi ko.

"I honestly don't know her that much. I used to go to parties, but I don't particularly go with girls. Mga pinsan o kaibigan ang palagi kong kasama."

He shrugged and was about to stop when we were at my apartment when I tapped his thigh, signalling him to continue driving.