Kabanata 3

Dream

I'm starting to have second thoughts now.

To be a working student for the Cavalleros means I have to stay at their mansion. But I'm not quite okay with leaving Mama alone here at our empty house.

"I have no problems with that, Tequila. I'm fine being alone here, nandito naman si Nena," Mama said in the middle of my thoughts.

Nagpakawala ako ng buntong-hininga. Kahit pa sabihin niyang nandito nga ang caretaker niya, hindi pa rin ako kampante. Paano na lang kung may emegency na mangyari at wala ako rito?

Manang Nena has to go home at some times too so that means there will also be times that Mama will be left here. All alone with no company.

"Pero may mga oras din namang kailangang umalis ni Manang Nena? I can't seem to imagine that you'll be left here all alone. Ni walang mga kapit-bahay sa malapit."

"You know what, your Tita Reese has offered us to live with them for so many times. Maybe it's high time I should accept that offer. Nang sa gayon ay mapalagay ang loob mo habang nagwo-working student ka sa mga Cavallero."

Marahan akong napailing sa suhesiyon niya. Parang nakakahiya na manghingi pa ng tulong kina Tita Reese, sila na nga ang sumagot sa lahat ng gastusin sa medications ni Mama. Hindi naman pwedeng kada offer nila ay tanggap lang kami ng tanggap.

But I guess I have no choice now that Tita Reese has already sent one of my cousins here just to get Mama and her things. Ni hindi ko nga alam na nakapag-impake na siya.

I look at Mama like she just betrayed me. She did. She decided this overnight and packed her things without telling me.

Ngayon ay nagising na lang akong nandito na si Asmodeus para kunin siya.

"Is this all your things, Tita?" si Asmodeus habang ipinapasok na ang panghuling luggage ni Mama sa trunk ng kotse niya.

"Yes, hijo. Thank you. Do you mind waiting for a little bit so Tequila and I can talk before we leave?"

"No. I don't mind at all, Tita. Take your time." Asmodeus nods at me with a smile before leaving me and Mama to talk alone.

Mama then smiles at me gently, like trying to appease the verdicts I have about her leaving inside my head.

"What was that, Ma? I thought we were still on the process of deciding this? Naisip ko na ngang maghanap na lang ng ibang part-time jobs na malapit lang dito para hindi na kita kailangang iwan ng mag-isa."

Don Primero's offer was good, alright. Pero mas i-pa-priotize ko pa ba 'yan kesa kay Mama? She's sick and leaving her alone to a caretaker that can't even be here for 24 hours doesn't sit quite right to me.

And though Tita Reese offered, we can't just take it that easily and be dependent on them all the time.

"Because I don't want you to worry about me that much. Dito rin nakasalalay ang pag-aaral mo. This must be ironic since it was the Cavalleros in the first place that has deprived me of sending you to college. But you need this. You need their money to continue your studies. It's even right to say that almost half of their money is rightfully ours." She looks at me in the eyes like talking to me as if I am a soldier in a war.

"Kaya h'wag mo na akong alalahanin at h'wag mo na ring alalahanin ang tungkol sa pagkakaroon ng utang na loob sa kanila. Ni hindi sapat ang pagpapaaral nila sa 'yo para maging kabayaran sa lahat ng pang-aalipusta nila sa atin." She grits her teeth.

Alam ko naman kung ano ang ginawa ng mga Cavallero sa amin. Mama's been telling me that almost everyday. But I just can't bear watching her get angry at the mention of their names all the time.