Kabanata 10

Fingertip lullaby

"Gon, can we talk?"

My voice is shaky and my fingers fidgety as I tried my best to look at him straight in the eyes.

Kakasundo niya lang sa akin galing school. Halatang kagagaling niya lang din mula sa trabaho at dumiretso kaagad dito para lang masundo ako.

His eyes fell on my fingers. He noticed that small gesture and I fisted my hands on my lap. I can't even lean comfortably on the passenger's seat. I feel nauseous.

"Do we have a problem?" Marahan niyang sinuri ang ekspresyon ko.

The way he tilted his head, and the way his eyes beseeched mine made me hold my breath.

I lifted my chin up and let out a sigh. The moment I did, I reminisced each and every mantra that Mama has told me. The Cavalleros ruined Papa's name, his reputation, our life. I need to clear my head and stick to the plan.

"Why won't you give your engagement to Celest Gabriel a thought?" Ngumiti ako at pinaaliwalas na ang hitsura.

His expression turned stone-cold and he gripped the stirring wheel to start the engine. He swerved his car out of the school's parking space and remained silent.

"I thought about it already. Back in abroad, even before I went home here in El Valencia. I respect my old man. I follow him but there are just orders that I need to turn down. I am also my own person," he said after a while.

Namukol ang lalamunan ko dahil sa sinabi niya. I averted my gaze at the opened window and let the fading trees and some houses on the side of the road fill my sight.

"P-Pero sinundo mo siya sa Manila 'di ba? What is she like?" I carefully asked and looked at him through my periphery.

I noticed how his jaw clenched before his grip on the steering wheel noticeably loosened. Mas bumagal na rin ang pagpapatakbo niya sa sasakyan ngayon.

It's like he wants to let go of all the irritation that my sudden questions are dumping on him. Like he wants to be patient with me, but he doesn't want me to hesitate in asking him questions at the same time...

"We met at social events a lot of times already. She is a respectable woman and successful in her field."

My lips curved upwards in a small smile. A respectable and successful woman.

Imagine if I manage to make our plan... successful. But how can a woman like that be replaced with a girl like me? Someone who is painted with a bad reputation by the townspeople here in El Valencia?

Kaya kung talagang magtagumpay man ang plano... masyadong malaking kahihiyan ang madidikit sa pangalan ng mga Cavallero.

"Then why won't give your engagement a chance?"

The fresh breeze of wind passed through the car's window along with the scent of the sun and nature. It entered both our seemingly silent systems.

I remained calm but the myriads of emotion within me is in complete chaos.

"Because I have already decided about it. And right now? I like you. So, how could I even consider that?"

Unti-unti niya na ngayong itinigil ang sasakyan niya sa tabi ng kalsada. He faced me and I felt him analysing my expression and the littlest of gestures that it rendered me frozen on my seat.

"Tell me Tequila, do you really like me? Or are you just infatuated?" biglaang tanong niya na nakapagpasinghap sa akin.

"I like you!" my voice quivered.