35. It'll Be Okay

1st POV
Adira

Zeus beckoned Artemis forward

Zeus beckoned Artemis forward. He leaned down and listened as she spoke in his ear.

I looked at Annabeth. She was staring at her nails, as if she could care less about this.

Percy looked at me, and his eyes were full of fear.

"What?" I asked.

"Look, I need to tell you something," he continued. The words came stumbling out of him.

"I couldn't stand it if... I can't—"

"Percy?" I asked, putting my hand to his forehead. "You look like you're going to be sick."

He tried to say more, but his tongue betrayed him. It wouldn't move because of the fear in my stomach. And then Artemis turned.

"I shall have a new lieutenant," she announced. "If she will accept it."

"No," Percy murmured.

I looked at Annie. She stood tall, but it wasn't forced. I honestly would be bored if she became a Hunter, but at least she'd be happy.

"Thalia," Artemis said. "Daughter of Zeus. Will you join the Hunt?"

Stunned silence filled the room. I stared at Thalia.

Annabeth smiled. She squeezed Thalia's hand and let it go, as if she'd been expecting this all along.

"I will," Thalia said firmly. I grabbed Thalia's hand and squeezed it.

Zeus rose, his eyes full of concern. "My daughter, consider well—"

"Father," she said. "I will not turn seventeen tomorrow. I will never turn seventeen. I won't let this prophecy be mine. I stand with my sister Artemis. Kronos will never tempt me again."

She knelt before the goddess and began the words I remembered from Bianca's oath, what seemed like so long ago. "I pledge myself to the goddess Artemis. I turn my back on the company of men..."

Afterward, Thalia did something that surprised me almost as much as the pledge. She came over to Percy, smiled, and in front of the whole assembly, she gave him a big hug.

When she pulled away and gripped his shoulders, he asked, "Um... aren't you supposed to not do that anymore? Hug boys, I mean?"

"I'm honoring a friend," she corrected. "I must join the Hunt, Percy. I haven't known peace since... since Half-Blood Hill. I finally feel like I have a home. But you're a hero. You will be the one of the prophecy."

"Great," he muttered.

"I'm proud to be your friend."

She turned to me. She hugged me, and I wrapped my arms around her, trying hard not to cry. "You are my sister now, Adira. You'll never get rid of me, for as long as you live. And your kids. And their kids. And then your kids kids' kids-"