14. A Talk with a Homeless Man

1st POV
Adira

Once I "woke up," I went up to the top to actually get rest, so I wouldn't have to listen to the music blaring in the front seat

Once I "woke up," I went up to the top to actually get rest, so I wouldn't have to listen to the music blaring in the front seat. I sat in the driver's seat, with my head tucked in between.

"Well, hello there, little bird," a voice said.

Without looking, I grabbed my arrowhead, but it wasn't there. I looked up to see the homeless man, holding my arrowhead in his hands. But, the thing was, the only person to ever call me little bird was my uncle. The Greek god, Apollo.

"Uncle Apollo?"

He put his finger to his lips. "I'm incognito. Call me Fred."

"A god... named freaking Fred?"

"Eh, well... Zeus insists on certain rules. Hands off, when there's a human quest. Even when something really major is wrong. But nobody messes with my baby sister. Nobody."

"But, wasn't Artemis born first? The story usually goes that she was born, then Leto gave birth to you, and Mom helped deliver."

"Don't trust everything you hear, Adira..."

"But am I right?" I questioned, and he sighed. I got my answer by his facial expression.

"Can you help us?"

"Shhh. I already have. Haven't you been looking outside?"

I peaked outside.

"The train. How fast are we moving?"

Apollo chuckled. "Fast enough. Unfortunately, we're running out of time. It's almost sunset. But I imagine we'll get you across a good chunk of America, at least."

"But where is my mother?"

His face darkened. "I know a lot, and I see a lot. But even I don't know that. She's... clouded from me. I don't like it."

"And Annabeth? And Mari?"

He frowned. "Oh, you mean that girl you lost? And your little sister? Hmm. I don't know."

I tried not to feel mad. I knew the gods had a hard time taking mortals seriously, even half-bloods. We lived such short lives, compared to the gods.

"What about the monster Artemis was seeking?" I asked.

"Do you know what it is?" I questioned.

"No," Apollo said. "But there is one who might. If you haven't yet found the monster when you reach San Francisco, seek out Nereus, the Old Man of the Sea. He has a long memory and a sharp eye. He has the gift of knowledge sometimes kept obscure from my
Oracle."

"But it's your Oracle," I protested. "Can't you tell us what the prophecy means?"

Apollo sighed. "Your boyfriend asked me the same exact thing."

"He's not my boyf-" I stopped myself. All this time, I've said we're in a relationship, and never called him my boyfriend.

"Uh-huh," Apollo nodded, as if reading my mind. "The meaning is only clear through the search."

"In other words, you don't know."

Apollo checked his watch. "Ah, look at the time! I have to run. I doubt I can risk helping you again, my dear niece, but remember what I said! Get some sleep! And when you return, I expect a good haiku about your journey!"

I wanted to protest that I wasn't tired and I'd never made up a haiku in my life, but Apollo snapped his fingers, and the next thing I knew I was closing my eyes.

This completely sucks
I am completely confused
Get me out of here

🏹

When I woke up, Fred wasn't there. Percy was shaking my arm.

"Ad," he said. "It's morning. The train's stopped. Come on!"

Percy grabbed me, and together, we stood out of the car.

Thalia, Zoe, and Bianca had already rolled up the metal curtains. Outside were snowy mountains dotted with pine trees, the sun rising red between two peaks.