09. We Run Off and Join the Ocean Circus

1st Person
Adira

We ran towards the beach, as I held my arrowhead in hand

We ran towards the beach, as I held my arrowhead in hand. Percy was just sitting there, hands in his pocket.

"What's going on?" Annabeth asked. "I heard you calling for help!"

"Me, too!" Tyson said. "Heard you yell, 'Bad things are attacking!'"

"I didn't call you guys," Percy said. "I'm fine."

"But then who..." I noticed the three yellow duffel bags, then the thermos and the bottle of vitamins Percy was holding. "What the fu—"

"Just listen," he said. "We don't have much time."

He told us about his conversation with Hermes. By the time he was finished, I could hear screeching in the distance—patrol harpies picking up our scent.

"Seaweed Brain," I said, "we have to do the quest."

"We'll get expelled, you know. Trust me, I'm an expert at getting expelled."

"So? If we fail, there won't be any camp to come back to."

"Yeah, but you promised Chiron—"

"WE," I said, pointing to Annabeth, going back and forth, "promised we'd keep you from danger. I can only do that by coming with you! Tyson can stay behind and tell them—"

"I want to go," Tyson said.

"No!" Annabeth's voice sounded close to panic. "I mean...Percy, come on. You know that's impossible." Against my own will, I nodded. I wasn't really comfortable with having a Cyclops with us.

Me, Annabeth and Tyson stared at Percy, waiting for an answer. Meanwhile, the cruise ship was getting farther and farther away.

On the other hand, the sound of the harpies was getting closer... to murder us.

"We can't leave him," he decided. "Tantalus will punish him for us being gone."

"Percy," Annabeth said, trying to keep her cool, "we're going to Polyphemus's island! Polyphemus is an S-i-k...a C-y-k..." She stamped her foot in frustration. As smart as she was, Annabeth was dyslexic, too.

We could've been there all night while she tried to spell Cyclops.

"C-y-c? L-o-p-s?" I questioned. "I think so. Cyclops? C-y-c-l-o-p-s?"

"You know what I mean!"

"Tyson can go," I insisted, "if he wants to." Fighting was pointless. We had to get going, and quick.

Tyson clapped his hands. "Want to!"

Annabeth gave me the evil eye, but I guess she could tell I wasn't going to change my mind.

Or maybe she just knew we didn't have time to argue.

"All right," she said. "How do we get to that ship?"