12. I Clean My Dagger

1st Person
Adira

As I walked down the corridor with Orieus's javelin poking me in the back, I thought about what Luke had said—that the bear twins together were a match for Tyson's strength

As I walked down the corridor with Orieus's javelin poking me in the back, I thought about what Luke had said—that the bear twins together were a match for Tyson's strength. But maybe separately...

I looked at Percy, who was beside me. He looked at the ground, hard in thought.

We exited the corridor amidships and walked across an open deck lined with lifeboats. I knew the ship well enough to realize this would be our last look at sunlight. Once we got to the other side, we'd take the elevator down into the hold, and that would be it.

Percy looked at Tyson and said, "Now."

Thank the gods, he understood. He turned and smacked Oreius thirty feet backward into the
swimming pool, right into the middle of the zombie tourist family.

"Ah!" the kids yelled in unison. "We are not having a blast in the pool!"

One of the security guards drew his nightstick, but I knocked the wind out of him, giving him a roundhouse kick in the stomach. I sent an uppercut up his chin, and he almost did a backflip. The other guard ran for the nearest alarm box.

"Stop him!" I yelled, but it was too late.

Just before Percy banged him on head with a deck chair, he hit the alarm.

Red lights flashed. Sirens wailed.

"Lifeboat!" Percy yelled.

We ran for the nearest one.

By the time we got the cover off, monsters and more security men were swarming the deck, pushing aside tourists and waiters with trays of tropical drinks. A guy in Greek armor drew his sword and charged, but slipped in a puddle of piña colada. Laistrygonian archers assembled on the deck above us, notching arrows in their enormous bows.

"How the hell do you launch this thing?" screamed Annabeth.

A hellhound leaped at me, but Tyson slammed it aside with a fire extinguisher.

"Get in!" I yelled. I grabbed my dagger and slashed the first volley of arrows out of the air. Any second we would be overwhelmed.

The lifeboat was hanging over the side of the ship, high above the water. Annabeth and Tyson were having no luck with the release pulley.

I jumped in beside them.

"Hold on!" Percy yelled, and I cut the ropes.

A shower of arrows whistled over our heads as we free-fell toward the ocean.

"Thermos!" Percy screamed as we sent down toward the water.

"What?" Annabeth must've thought he'd lost his mind. She was holding on to the boat straps
for dear life, her hair flying straight up like a torch.