03. The Hunters of Artemis

1st POV
Adira

When I thought to myself of my mother talking to me again, I never thought of this

When I thought to myself of my mother talking to me again, I never thought of this. I felt ashamed, standing there with a sprained ankle at the least, but I honestly didn't care.

After I said hello to my mother, the girl with the circlet, Zoe, looked at me in disgust. I decided to not go off. She wasn't worth my time.

After seeing Dr. Thorn turn into a monster and plummet off the edge of a cliff with Annabeth, you'd think nothing else could shock me. But this certainly did. Percy came to my other side, holding me up.

Meanwhile, Grover was having one of the best days of his life.

That was nothing compared to Grover. He gasped, then knelt hastily in the snow and started yammering, "Thank you, Lady Artemis! You're so... you're so... Wow!"

"Get up, goat boy!" Thalia snapped. "We have other things to worry about. Annabeth is gone!"

"Whoa," Bianca di Angelo said. "Hold up. Time out."

Everybody looked at her. She pointed her finger at all of us in turn, like she was trying to connect the dots.

"Who... who are you people?"

My mother's expression softened. "It might be a better question, my dear girl, to ask who are you? Who are your parents?"

Bianca glanced nervously at her brother, who was still staring in awe at Artemis.

"Our parents are dead," Bianca said. "We're orphans. There's a bank trust that pays for our school, but..."

She faltered. I guess she could tell from our faces that we didn't believe her.

"What?" she demanded. "I'm telling the truth."

"You are a half-blood," Zoe Nightshade said. Her accent was hard to place. It sounded old-fashioned, like she was reading from a really old book. Of course, she was.

Someone needed to teach her the latest slang of the 21st century.

"One of thy parents was mortal. The other was an Olympian."

"An Olympian... athlete?"

"No," I said, beating Zoe to it. "One of the gods."

"Cool!" said Nico.

"No!" Bianca's voice quavered. "This is not cool!"