04. A Sudden Visit

1st Person POV
Adira

Basically, by the end of the year, Percy wasn't invited to Yancy for another year, so that means I could finally go to my school, MY normal school at year-round camp Half-Blood, with Annabeth, my closest friend

Basically, by the end of the year, Percy wasn't invited to Yancy for another year, so that means I could finally go to my school, MY normal school at year-round camp Half-Blood, with Annabeth, my closest friend. But, the next few days, I realized I thought about Percy. A lot. About how much it'll be different without him bickering with me every single day. Him sticking his tongue out at me when I beat him to a question in Science class. And my favorite, our friendship with Grover.

But, as I packed my bags to leave Yancy Academy for the first, and the last time in my life, I grabbed my hat, which on the tag read; First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, and you win, Adira. Don't ever forget that to win a battle, you must fight as if you are already dead, which, of course, was in Mom's handwriting. My siblings joked that I was the favorite child, even though they all get their fair share of gifts from her.

Corey, the eldest boy, got a bow. Made of fine metal. Asher, the eldest girl, got my Mom's full moon necklace, like mine, but way more detailed, which allows her to stay in contact with the moon, day and night.

Carlos, the third oldest, got my mom's skinning knife that was made for her by Hephaestus.

Brenna, 15, got wood twine made from the best wood in Greece, which could make bracelets that represented power, respect, and our Godestry.

Noah got his very own ax, which is his weapon of choice in battle. Then there's me and my twin brother, Brett. He got special armor that'd never get scratched or break. And I got my hat, and my bow/arrow/sword combo. Then, there's the youngest. Mariana.

Sadly, she was too young when our mother left. She was only 3, and being the age of three and owning an archibold-maple spear wasn't really content for a 1 year old... so, instead, Mom gave her a locket, so she'll never forget what Mom looked like, or what our family looked like before she quote, unquote, "disappeared".

Knock..knock..

I walked towards the door as I put on my hat (no, it is not the invisible one) then grabbed the doorknob. "Housekeeping," I mimicked, laughing. I opened the door to see Percy Jackson standing there, in front of my dorm.

"Oh, great. What a magnificent surprise! Bubble-Brain-Boy!" I annoyingly said, walking back towards my bag, zipping it up.

"Ha-ha. Very funny. I'm sorry, did I roll my eyes too loud when I walked in?" Percy asked me, making me roll my eyes at him.

"So, Mr. Jackson, what do I owe to this... Pleasure," I questioned, scrunching my eyebrows. "You can cut the slack, Adiraliese," he said, waving it off and putting his hands into his pockets. "Then, what do you want, Perseus?" I asked, placing my brown leather jacket onto my shoulders. "In fact, Lancaster, I wanted to know if you've seen what's been going on with Grover lately," Percy said, hooking his thumbs into his jeans.

"Same old Grover to me. Meanwhile, I have somewhere to be, Jackson," I explained, taking off my bed sheets and folding them, so the lady could clean them for the next child that lives here.

"Same old saty-.. Same old nervous boy that can't be calm for 4 minutes and 53 seconds straight," I said, almost letting the secret drop.

"Uh-huh," Percy asked, taking a step in. He looked at a photo on the desk that I had left to pack. He put it in his hands, and I got protective real quick. "Hey! Don't touch that!" I shouted, grabbing it from his hands.

But, it was too late. He had already looked at it. It was a picture of my Mom and I, with her teaching me how to aim and fire an arrow. It was around Christmas Time, and everyone in my family went shopping, while I insisted that Mom showed me some more things with a bow, outside in the cold weather.

We were outside my house, which was to the left of our shooting range, with Dad's garage towards the right. Our Woods Marsh was behind me, and the shadows were over top of me and my mother, and a chilly breeze blew at our fingertips.

"And... just like that! Look, child, you're a natural!" Mom told me, after I fired an arrow. It hit the 9 point mark, in the orange.

"I feel like something's not right," my 5 year-old self said. I almost threw my bow onto the snow-covered grass, and tossed my remaining arrows into the ground, but she stopped me, putting her soft hand onto mine.

"No, it's right. You just need to practice more, darling. Then, when you're all grown up, you can teach your husband, then your kids, then, your kids will teach your grandkids, if you're up to it of course. And then, Archery can go on for absolute decades more," she explained. That was one of my fondest memories of her, most of them happened.

"But, I still think something's wrong," I said, looking at the bow. "Child, all you have to do is trust in the bow," Artemis said, carefully taking the bow from me, and taking an arrow. She shot at our target, getting a little to the right, almost splitting my past arrow in half.

"A-ha. It needs to be angled. But, otherwise, I think that it's good. But, let's get you inside and get you some hot chocolate," she thrived, grabbing my hand as I grabbed the quiver of my bow. We didn't bother to go grab our arrows, but we brought our remaining arrows and bows. We both ran off towards the house, racing the other.

I grabbed the frame from Percy, holding it in my grasp. "That was your mom, wasn't it?" he asked me, pointing at the frame. "Yes."

"Is she gone?"

"Lost."

"Gone?"

"Just LOST, Jackson. Don't you ever listen?"

Percy groaned as he walked out of my dorm, clearly frustrated. I flipped him off once, then he turned around in my hallway.

"I never knew my dad. Just saying that," he pointed out, then left.

So, his godly parent was male. Huh. He doesn't seem like an Ares kid, definitely not like Clarisse. Not really Hephaestus either. Not really Apollo either. Usually Artemis's get along with them. And if he's Dionysus's— oi.