23. I Hold Someone's Hand on a Ride

1st Person
Adira

The sun was sinking behind the mountains by the time we found the water park

The sun was sinking behind the mountains by the time we found the water park. Judging from the sign, it once had been called WATERLAND, but now some of the letters were smashed out, so it read WAT R A D. Not to mention, my dyslexia turned it into: RAT WAD.

The main gate was padlocked and topped with barbed wire. Inside, huge dry water slides and tubes and pipes curled everywhere, leading to empty pools. Old tickets and advertisements fluttered around the asphalt. With night coming on, the place looked sad and creepy.

"If Ares brings his girlfriend here for a date," Percy said, staring up at the barbed wire, "I'd hate to see what she looks like."

"Percy," I warned. "Be more respectful, Seaweed Brain."

"Why? I thought you hated Ares."

"Yeah, but.. He's still a god. And his girlfriend is very... temperamental," I said.

"You don't want to insult her looks," Grover added.

"Who is she? Echidna?"

I let out a sarcastic laugh.

"No, Aphrodite," I said. "Goddess of love." I mocked. My mom's hatred for the pretty n' pink goddess passed onto me, too.

"I thought she was married to somebody," Percy said. "Hephaestus."

"What's your point?" I asked.

"Oh." Percy obviously suddenly felt the need to change the subject. "So how do we get in?"

"Maia!" Grover's shoes sprouted wings.

He flew over the fence, did an unintended somersault in midair, then stumbled to a landing on the opposite side. He dusted off his jeans, as if he'd planned the whole thing. I clapped, giving an applause. "You guys coming?"

I turned into a bird and flew over, while Percy did the old fashioned way. He climbed up. He held up the barbed wire and quickly went through. He hopped down, and did a little bow. I smiled and laughed. He let out a little laugh and we shared a quote, unquote, "moment." We looked away from each other.

The shadows grew long as we walked through the park, checking out the attractions. There was Ankle Biter Island, Head Over Wedgie, and Dude, Where's My Swimsuit?

No monsters came to get us. Nothing made the slightest noise.

We found a souvenir shop that had been left open. Merchandise still lined the shelves: snow globes, pencils, postcards, and racks of—