12. Come Here, Kitty, Kitty, Kitty

1st POV
Adira

By the time we were all in the van, Grover was half-asleep

By the time we were all in the van, Grover was half-asleep. He and I rested on each other, and I had my arms crossed.

I felt a twinge of guilt about not telling Zoe or Bianca my dream, then again, it was probably better to keep to myself. If Zoe knew, she'd probably blurt it out and be like, "this is my quest!" Blah-blah-blah.

Well, she's my sister! And she could be dead! And Annabeth!

I fell asleep on Grover, and for the first time, I actually got a few hours of sleep, nightmare free.

Do you guys know that feeling when you're on a road trip or something, and when you make that one turn at your house or destination, you wake up? Yeah, that's what happened when we made it to Maryland at a rest stop.

Once we were all finished, we all walked out.

"Are you sure?" Thalia asked Grover.

"Well... pretty sure. Ninety-nine percent. Okay, eighty-five percent."

"And you did this with acorns?" Bianca asked, like she couldn't believe it.

Grover looked offended. "It's a time-honored tracking spell. I mean, I'm pretty sure I did it right."

"D.C. is about sixty miles from here," Bianca said. "Nico and I..." She frowned. "We used to live there. That's... that's strange. I'd forgotten."

"I dislike this," Zoe said. "We should go straight west. The prophecy said west."

"Oh, like your tracking skills are better?" I growled.

Zoe stepped towards me. "You challenge my skills, you scullion? You know nothing of being a Hunter!"

"Oh, scullion. You're calling me a scullion? What the heck is a scullion?"

"Whoa, you two," Grover said nervously. "Come on. Not again!"

"Grover's right," Bianca said. "D.C. is our best bet."

Zoe didn't look convinced, but she nodded reluctantly. "Very well. Let us keep moving." She continued to glare at me, but I returned a smile.

"You're going to get us arrested, driving," Thalia grumbled. "I look closer to sixteen than you do."

"Perhaps," Zoe snapped. "But I have been driving since automobiles were invented. Let us go."

"Oh, great. Zoe's hundreds of years old so she's in charge... yay," I sarcastically said, getting into the van.

🏹

Finally, the van crossed the Potomac River into central Washington.

The Washington Monument was nearly beside us. Annabeth would've loved it here. I know she did.