02. The Cheeto Takes a Bath

1st Person
Adira

Am I smart? Yes

Am I smart? Yes. Am I an idiot? Of course.

You see, one of my problems is how I stand up for people. I threaten. Fun, right?

"Back off," I said, walking over, standing in front of Grover. Nancy shoved me back, while my arms hit Percy and Grover as I fell to the ground.

Percy looked down at me, and I could see some sympathy in his eyes.

Since the first time I met him, I finally saw how beautiful his eyes were. Sea-green but with blue at the seams of the iris.

"You okay?" he asked, as Grover pulled him up from the ground.

"I'm fine," she said, standing up without help, except a little bit from Grover. "You're such an ass!" I said.

I, who focused on the water, saw a hand reach up, made of water. I'm not really gonna say I remember Percy touching her whatsoever, but the next thing I knew, she was soaked wet in the fountain, which had a "supposed" picture of the twin Archers, Apollo and Artemis. But I guess it was a sculpture.

"Percy pushed me!" Nancy screamed over and over. Mrs. Dodds rushed while I was laughing my butt off. She made sure Nancy was okay, who only complained, "My shirt's wet!" Mrs. Dodds said she would buy Nancy a souvenir from the gift shop and a new shirt, etc., etc., etc.. Then she turned to Percy. I stared wide-eyed at Grover.

"Now, honey-" Mrs. Dodds began, a triumphant fire glistening in her eyes.

"I know," Percy mumbled, "a month erasing notebooks."

"Come with me," Mrs. Dodds said, making her way up the stairs.

I stood there, knowing I had to do something. Percy was a demigod, and he still hasn't made it to Camp. He needs to at least make that mark. "Wait, it was me! I pushed her!" I yelled, a chiver in my voice.

Here I was, Adiraleise Lancaster, trying to take the fall for him, Percy Jackson. I let out a sigh, only to hear Mrs. Dodds words. "I don't think so, Ms. Lancaster," she said, coldness in her voice. "But-"

"You- will- stay here."

I looked at Percy, desperately. "It's okay, Adiraleise. Thanks, I guess," he said, looking into my eyes, before walking up the stairs again. "Honey, now," Dodds threatened Percy when he stopped halfway up the stairs. "Gods dammit!" I muttered under my breath.

I looked at Nancy. I gave her my best I'll-kill-you-later stare, which she mimicked. I looked at Grover, who was frightened as heck. I looked back over at Nancy. She still was standing in front of the fountain, and since Mrs. Dodds was gone, with Percy, I pushed her back inside, making a splash, as I ran over to Chiron.

The entire time he was eating, turned away, lost in a book even though the fight was right in front of him.

"Chir- Mr. Brunner! Percy's with Mrs. Dodds. You gotta help him," I nearly shouted. "Something's wrong. I know it!"

Chiron wheeled away as fast as he could, before I could even see a facial expression on him.

...

It began raining.

Later, in between calming Grover, trying not to get wet and reading my book to calm myself, Percy came out, his eyes looking confused, eyes scrunched. He talked with Nancy, but I couldn't hear what, then he walked over to us.

"Where's Mrs. Dodds?" he asked, but me and Grover had to act like we didn't know, but of course, we knew.

"Who?" Grover asked, not making eye contact with Percy. "Where is Mrs. Dodds?"

"Who? I didn't think we were on speaking terms, Jackson," I said, knowing I can't become close with Percy. He rolled his eyes, talking with Grover again. I rolled mine, and went back towards my book. "This isn't funny, man, I'm frickin' serious!" he exclaimed.

After no answer, he walked away. "Thank the Gods," I mumbled under my breath.