Chapter Seventy Seven

Start from the beginning

Travers coughed and followed hot on their heels. "Well, I heard about the that the inhabitants of Malfoy Manor were confined to the house, after the ... ah ... escape. I'm merely surprised to see you out and about, Bellatrix."

Noel stopped and turned to him, a pocket knife that she carried made its way out. "The Dark Lord forgives those who have served him most faithfully in the past," said Noel in a magnificent imitation of Bellatrix's most contemptuous manner. "Perhaps your credit is not as good with him as mine is, Travers."

Travers looked down at the knife that was pointed at his sternum. He put his hands up in surrender. He swallowed thickly. Travers seemed a little taken aback at that, and he turned instead to Ron. "Who is your friend? I do not recognize him."

"This is Dragomir Despard and his wife Valent," said Noel; they had decided that a fictional foreigner was the safest cover for Ron to assume. "They speak very little English, but he is in sympathy with the Dark Lord's aims. They have traveled here from Transylvania to see our new regime."

"Indeed? How do you do, Dragomir?"

" 'Ow you?" said Ron, holding out his hand.

Travers extended two fingers and shook Ron's hand as though frightened of dirtying himself.

"So what brings you and your — ah — sympathetic friend to Diagon Alley this early?" asked Travers.

Noel gave an exasperated sigh, "Visit to Gringotts."

"Alas, I also," said Travers. "Gold, filthy gold! We cannot live without it, yet I confess I deplore the necessity of consorting with our long-fingered friends."

Harry felt Griphook's clasped hands tighten momentarily around his neck.

"Shall we?" said Travers, gesturing Noel forward.

Noel  had no choice but to fall into step beside him and head along the crooked, cobbled street toward the place where the snowy-white Gringotts stood towering over the other little shops. Ron and Hermione sloped along beside them, Harry and Griphook followed.

All too soon they arrived at the foot of the marble steps leading up to the great bronze doors. As Griphook had already warned them, the liveried goblins who usually flanked the entrance had been replaced by two wizards, both of whom were clutching long thin golden rods.

"Ah, Probity Probes," sighed Travers theatrically, "so crude — but effective!"

And he set off up the steps, nodding left and right to the wizards, who raised the golden rods and passed them up and down his body. The Probes, Harry knew, detected spells of concealment and hidden magical objects. Knowing that he had only seconds; Harry pointed Draco's wand at each of the guards in turn and murmured, "Confundo" twice. Unnoticed by Travers, who was looking through the bronze doors at the inner hall, each of the guards gave a little start as the spells hit them.

Noel's long black hair rippled behind her as she climbed the steps. "One moment, madam," said the guard, raising his Probe.

"But you've just done that!" said Noel in Bellatrix's commanding, arrogant voice. Travers looked around, eyebrows raised. The guard was confused. He stared down at the thin golden Probe and then at his companion, who said in a slightly dazed voice,

"Yeah, you've just checked them, Marius."

The long counter was manned by goblins sitting on high stools, serving the first customers of the day. Hermione, Ron, and Travers headed toward an old goblin who was examining a thick gold coin through an eyeglass.

Noel allowed Travers to step ahead of her on the pretext of explaining features of the hall to Ron and Hermione.

The goblin tossed the coin he was holding aside, said to nobody in particular, "Leprechaun," and then greeted Travers, who passed over a tiny golden key, which was examined and given back to him.