Chapter Fifty One

—— ϟ ——

—— ϟ ——

The week following, Harry was not having a great time. After he had told his friends about his lesson with Dumbledore, the conversation had switched from Voldemort to the Slug Club, a rather sour topic of conversation.

"Slughorn's going to have a Christmas party, Harry, and there's no way you'll be able to wriggle out of this one because he actually asked me to check your free evenings, so he could be sure to have it on a night you can come." Hermione shared while they were in Herbology Tuesday evening.

Harry groaned while Ron said angrily, "And this is another party just for Slughorn's favorites, is it?"

"Just for the Slug Club, yes," said Hermione.

The pod that he was trying to squeeze, flew out of his hands and soared through the sky, knocking off Professor Sprout's hat off.

Harry went to retrieve the pod; when he got back, Hermione was saying, "Look, I didn't make up the name 'Slug Club' —"

" 'Slug Club,' "repeated Ron with a sneer worthy of Malfoy. "It's pathetic. Well, I hope you enjoy your party. Why don't you try hooking up with McLaggen, then Slughorn can make you King and Queen Slug —"

"We're allowed to bring guests," said Hermione, who for some reason had turned a bright, boiling scarlet, "and I was going to ask you to come, but if you think it's that stupid then I won't bother!"

"You were going to ask me?" asked Ron, in a completely different voice.

"Yes," said Hermione angrily. "But obviously if you'd rather I hooked up with McLaggen..." There was a pause while Harry continued to pound the resilient pod with a trowel. "No, I wouldn't," said Ron, in a very quiet voice. Harry missed the pod, hit the bowl, and shattered it, the crash caused the two to snap out of their argument and resumed working with the pods.

Katie Bell was still in St. Mungo's Hospital with no prospect of leaving, which meant that the promising Gryffindor team Harry had been training so carefully since September was one Chaser short. Their opening match against Slytherin was looming, and he finally had to accept that she would not be back in time to play.

In the corridor, what seemed to be after what seemed to be after a Gryffindor practice, Noel was waiting for Harry where he told her to meet with him.

Finally, he walked towards her direction, Noel hung back slightly when she noticed their expressions, Harry looked slightly frustrated while Ron looked miserable. Harry sent her a dejected smile.

"Do you want me to come back?" Noel asked, looking at both of their faces. Harry sighed, and nodded his head, "I'm sorry, love..."

Noel shook her head and tucked some hair behind his ear, "Was it important, what you had to tell me?"

"I'll tell you tomorrow."

Noel checked her watch and groaned softly, "I'll walk with you to your common room, I have rounds in fifteen minutes."