Chapter Three

——ϟ ——

——ϟ ——

In no time at all, Defense Against the Dark Arts had become most people's favorite class. Only Draco Malfoy and his gang of Slytherins had anything bad to say about Professor Lupin.

"Look at the state of his robes," Malfoy would say in a loud whisper as Professor Lupin passed. "He dresses like our old house elf. His daughter isn't any better, with her worn out robes, it looks like they pulled them out of the rubbish bin."

But no one else cared that Professor Lupin's robes were patched and frayed, or that Noel's robes were baggy and patchy. Everyone had begun to be kinder to Noel. She didn't know if it was because they felt pity towards her or because they always see her with the Professor. But during study hall or in the classroom they would say hello to her, never really expecting an answer back but they did get a wide-eyed face in acknowledgement.

Harry and his friends as well as Neville will glare at anyone who would mention what happened to her boggart, but it wasn't something people really gossiped about.

Nobody really liked Care of Magical Creatures, which, after the action-packed first class, had become extremely dull. Hagrid seemed to have lost his confidence. They were now spending lesson after lesson learning how to look after flobberworms, which had to be some of the most boring creatures in existence.

Noel would go to her dad and groan about how boring the lessons were.

By the end of October, the first Hogsmead weekend was announced. Noel looked at the board in her common room and slumped slightly as the excitement was contagious but she knew she couldn't go. Her dad refused to sign her slip and she knew she didn't have enough money to actually enjoy it; unless you count window shopping enjoyable.

She was in her dad's office now, she usually did her homework with him while he graded papers. "Are you sure you're not mad at me?" Asked Remus, breaking the comfortable silence. Noel brushed the hair away from her face and looked up from her Runes translations.

"No, I'll probably just be in the library, or ask Professor Flitwick if he needs help with his scrolls." She shrugged and went back to work.

Remus sighed and looked out the window, the sun was setting casting a shade of pinks, oranges, and purples wash over the sky. "Would you like to do something together?" he asked.

Noel looked up and furrowed her eyebrows. "What would we do?" Tilting her head.

"Hmm, we could go for a walk around the castle. I also need to get a Grindylow for a lesson."

Noel made a face, "How are you going to get that? Are you going to go swimming?" she asked playfully. "Fine, we can do something together." she said smiling.

"Great!" Remus smiled and went back to grading.

On Halloween morning, Harry awoke with the rest and went down to breakfast, feeling thoroughly depressed, though doing his best to act normally.