Chapter Sixty Nine

—— ϟ ——

—— ϟ ——

Harry pulled out Noel's locket and gazed down at it. Unlike the Horcrux that hadn't warmed up with the contact of his skin, her's seemed to warm immediately with his touch. Trying to keep himself awake he inspected it carefully. When he had bought it for her didn't think much of the size or design but now looking at it carefully he wanted to pat himself on the back for the one he chose.

It was oval shaped, about 3 inches in length, gold. It had a simple design, small flowers boarded the perimeter. Curious, he opened it, wondering if she had added a picture inside. Surprised, he hadn't expected a piece of paper to fall, enlarging it, he unfolded it and read,

Stories like ours, the lives we live, we usually have tragic endings. I've guarded my heart day and night since the moment I realized I've fallen in love, but if he's a tragic hero, and I his doxy, does this mean that inexorably I shall follow him in death?

He read it over and over again, absorbing every word. Drinking up every loop in her g's and the connected e's. Did she keep this in for him to read and dwell on or had he accidentally been handed Noel's unspoken avowal.

No matter, he smiled smallishly at the picture she had. He remembered this moment as if it had happened just yesterday.

She was sitting on one of the benches that was located in the courtyard, head bent low as she annotated one of her current reads when he had seen her.

His feet hurt and he was tired from Quidditch practice but he couldn't miss an opportunity in seeing her when she was right there, alone, begging for something to distract her.

He tried to sneak up behind her but she always had a keen sense of knowing when he was around.

"Hello, Harry James."

He huffed out a breath and leaned down to peer over her shoulder. "What're you reading?"

"Great Gatsby, it's about the American dream," she sighed out, "I don't get it." She said slamming it closed. Noel turned her head and smiled up at him, her nose scrunching a bit. She brought a hand up, and brushed the hair out of his face, tucking it behind his ear.

She leaned up a bit and kissed the corner of his mouth. "How was practice?"

"Good, I think we really have a shot of winning this year," he said excitedly, sitting beside her. He remembered talking for hours on that bench with her, or him talking to her. She liked listening to his tangents. The sun was setting, her elbows resting on her knees as she looked at him.

"Collin, what are you doing?" She asked, looking over Harry's shoulder.

"Taking pictures," he said, popping up with a cheeky smile, his camera in his hand.

"Of what?"

"You know I take pictures of anything, Noel. Scrapbooks."

Noel hummed, and nodded her head. "Here," she said, crossing her leg and looping her arm with Harry's. "Take a picture of us."