Chapter 51: Crossing the Swamp

Luo Ping retreated. Qingfeng sheathed her sword and returned to Bai Wutong, who now knew her better. "You're standing up for her and the child, aren't you?" she asked, glancing at Li Niang.

Qingfeng didn't deny it.

Bai Wutong sighed. "Don't attack others so easily next time. Her husband is even worse than her mother-in-law. If it weren't for the child, she wouldn't have any intention of resisting. If you kill her mother-in-law, it will only make her situation worse."

Qingfeng focused on the sword as if he was considering killing Luo Ping as well.

Bai Wutong saw through her thoughts. "If you kill her husband, she will hate you to death."

Qingfeng looked up. "So what?"

Bai Wutong understood what she meant. In any case, it was fine as long as Li Niang and the child were doing well. She was not afraid of Luo Ping.

The commander of the Dark Guards Team was actually so naive. Bai Wutong had no choice but to break it down and explain to her, "If she hates you, she will try her best to kill you. Or she will follow her husband's footsteps and leave the poor child behind. Moreover, how can she live well in this chaotic world as just a weak woman with a child and no one to rely on?"

Qingfeng's eyes darkened as if she had understood.

There were also other refugees who followed them up the mountain. When they saw Qingfeng kill the old woman, everyone was terrified and numb.

They had seen too many dead people along the way.

Their own hands were not necessarily clean.

Besides, if not for Bai Wutong and the others being vigilant, none of them would have survived.

The child's father felt that the old woman had asked for it since she attacked others first. He brought his wife and child to Bai Wutong and said gratefully, "Thank you for saving my life."

Seeing this, the other refugees hurriedly thanked them. "Thank you for saving our lives, benefactors." They were not people who did not know what was good for them.

The flood was still rising. This part of the road was completely submerged. There was no telling how long it would take for the water to subside.

Bai Wutong asked Lin Yue to take out a map and look at it. "There's no other paths nearby?" The main road was flooded, and the other paths were too far from their location.

Lin Yue shook his head. "This is the most detailed map my master has prepared for me. If there aren't any on the map, there probably is really no more."

Without a road that could allow the carriages to move, they could only take the mountain road.

If they wanted to take the mountain road, they would have to abandon all the large items like the carriage frame.

It would be useless after they circled this flooded mountain path.

Bai Wutong could not do anything secretive in the carriage anymore.

However, there was nothing they could do if they stayed here. It was a waste of food and time. They might even encounter bandits and a large number of refugees.

Bai Wutong thought for a moment and pointed at the map. She made a prompt decision. "Bring all the food and necessary clothes and abandon the things that you can't bring. We'll take the mountain path to Jiangyuan City."

Qingfeng glanced at the mountain path Bai Wutong was pointing at. "There's a bandit hideout here."

Bai Wutong frowned and asked, "Are there many people?"