Book 1: Water | 49 | The Suspicious Market

Start from the beginning

Ayaan kept his hood up, the white fur laces hiding the odd color of his hair. Katara and Sokka didn't have super distinguishing features, so they went more casual. With the money held by their eldest, they finally made their trek into town

Appa and Momo were chilling in the woods not too far off. The magical bison was too noticeable and this area wasn't safe, so with a bit of convincing, the large companion stayed by their river camp. Momo was a free spirit that came and went if he wanted to. If he did, he'd let them know by perching on Ayaan's shoulders.

Ayaan was planning to get more fruits for them to eat. They deserved treats, very often, and lots of pats and fur care. Since most of that stuff was lost, he planned to replace it all here. He highly doubted he'd find it all, though, and his burns tingled unpleasantly being near the place.

If you could ask Appa, he'd tell you he was living his best life thanks to his second human, Ayaan. Aang was wonderful, believe him, he was. They were brothers in spirit, forever together, a bond no one could break. But Ayaan? Ayaan was special. Appa knew it since the moment they met.

This was a good human.

This was a precious human.

With a small growl from Appa, Momo responded with a warble. He and his tiniest companion shared eye contact for a moment before he flew off to follow them. When he couldn't be there, Momo was there.

He and Momo had an agreement, a mutual thing to protect this human, who seemed to be hurting most nights in his sleep. They weren't sure what was hurting him. But, they could sense it when he'd toss and turn, waking after only a few hours in a cold sweat and holding his mouth in an attempt at silence.

For the most part, he was very silent, but with Momo's ears and his own sensitive hearing, the animals could clearly hear the agonizingly silent wails that would escape him.

It was like he was burning from the inside out before he could realize that he wasn't. Not anymore. And when he did realize it, he would rush off to any source of water to calm down. All of this was without a sound that untrained humans could hear.

After the first time, Appa took the initiative. He would make Ayaan sleep on one of his legs and hold him close. It was something his mama used to do when he was a calf. It was comfortable, and he always slept well like that until he met Aang.

Ayaan didn't complain, in fact, he relished in the feeling of his fur which he'd brushed often. Most nights, this was able to ease his human just the same. Most nights, he would sleep a little longer, a little calmer. His face wouldn't be awash in quiet agony, a dreamless sleep.

Though there were nights when it was really bad, when his form of comfort just wasn't enough to keep the bad away.

All he could do was hold him closer until he eased, which he did with added effort. A rumbling growl, low and soft, would vibrate through him, and the tense Ayaan would relax again. He was pleased when the human would go back to a peaceful rest, and he'd curl up as much as he can around him for security.

What little he could do made him happy, but it didn't take away the worry he held. He didn't want Ayaan to disappear, following the spirits' calls toward the north.

Appa had heard them too, he could always hear them whispering.

They were just as attentive to Ayaan as he was. And it seemed the human could hear them too, as he'd relax in his sleep when the lullaby would sing for him.

It was a song about the moon, the sea, and a son born through their love. A gentle tune on the breeze, filled with longing, warmth, and promises.