𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑴𝒂𝒅𝒏𝒆𝒔𝒔 𝒐𝒇 𝑫𝒂𝒉𝒍𝒊𝒂 𝑩𝒍𝒐𝒔𝒔𝒐𝒎

Start from the beginning

The girls had done a decent job of staying out of trouble. They'd escaped from the bloodbath unharmed, avoided any run-ins with the Career Pack and stayed relatively off the radar. It hadn't been the exciting showdown the citizens of the Capitol had expected, but they were safe. That's all that mattered to Dahlia and Finnick.

On the third day, with Annie and Lavender hiding out in a cave, the older mentors managed to convince the younger ones to emerge from District Four's apartments. Watching the Games on a large screen amongst the chatter of Capitol officials wasn't exactly what the pair wanted to be doing. But the odds can quickly fall out of their tributes' favour and they needed to ensure there were sponsors lined up just in case.

Finnick and Dahlia made a formidably brilliant tag-team. They could swindle their way into the deep pockets of any rich Capitol sponsor without much effort. A little flirting and a lot of charm made each patron feel special, soon emptying their savings into the laps of the two Victors. But as they were greasing up another peacock, the tables took a horrifying turn.

"Oh my goodness!" A Capitol citizen gasped out suddenly, making all eyes avert to the screen. The room came to life with cheering and yells as the dull games had finally started to get interesting. A fire, obviously started by the gamekeepers, had been set to force Annie and Lavender out of hiding. This sent them straight into the clutches of the Career Pack.

Dahlia had shot forward in her seat, nearly hanging off the edge as her hand seized the closest available surface. Gripping onto Finnick's knee, she is unable to tear her eyes away from the scene. If she were in their shoes, she and Cove would've fought with everything they had to escape. But everyone seemed to forget that Annie and Lavender were not their sisters. So, while most spectators were eager for an epic showdown, Dahlia hoped for something else entirely. Run, she begs.

Unfortunately, her desperate plea is drowned out by the calls for battle. Instead of knowing when they're outnumbered and overpowered, Annie and Lavender stand their ground to prepare for the incoming brawl.

Fearing that she will miss something if she blinks, Dahlia stares wide-eyed at the screen as the girls become overwhelmed by the onslaught. They are putting up a good fight, but tiring quicker than the Careers. They receive more and more hits, becoming sluggish and slow to respond. Wary of the people watching her reaction, Dahlia tries to keep her face neutral and impassive. But Finnick can see her body flinching with each blow. He subtly slides his hand into hers, allowing her to squeeze his palm every time she tenses.

She is barely able to stifle her panicked gasp as Lavender is disarmed and thrown to the ground in front of the Careers. The younger Blossom holds her head up high and stares her opponents down defiantly, refusing to give in even as she's brought to her knees.

History will remember how the girl bravely looked death in the eye and welcomed her demise with a quivering frame. They will remember how she selflessly pleaded for her friend to run. They will remember that her final words were a desperate scream for her sister. They will remember Annie Cresta's scream of horror as her ally was decapitated right in front of her. But they won't remember her name. The Black Dahlia's Sister Beheaded by Careers, was the only recognition Lavender received. After all, history is written by the Victors.

But everyone spoke of The Black Dahlia herself. The cold-hearted stare that she is known for took centre stage as she reacted to the live footage of her sister's death. All eyes were on her, watching and waiting to see what she would do. Internally, Dahlia wanted to react just like Annie. Scream and yell with tears streaming down her face. Let the world see just how she felt. Make everyone feel the pain and anguish of her loss... But she couldn't.

The Black Dahlia is heartless. Crazy. A woman driven to absolute madness. That's what they wanted and that's exactly what she became.

After a few moments of stunned silence, her body rumbled with what some people assumed to be sobs. Before long, they realised it wasn't tears... It was laughter. The Black Dahlia had just witnessed her sister meet a gruesome end and she still found the ability to laugh. The crowds whispered about the girl's insanity, rumours already circulating that she had lost what was left of her mind.