Chapter 27 - The Finale

(TW // Descriptions of guns, violence and death)

▂▃▅▇█▓▒░ Grace ░

I gazed over the top of the slowly brightening tree line, taking in the quiet surroundings of The Zoo as I watch on from the peak of a nearby hill.

The sun is just beginning to rise, the people beginning to leave their homes one by one, heading to work at various jobs around the community. From this distance, they looked like ants, buzzing around the nest on their daily cycle.

This is where I've spent each sunrise the past week. Using the natural vantage point to observe the daily goings of the community in my absence. Missing the small touch of normality that I began to experience for a while.

To the right a little ways, through the peaks of the tall trees, I can make out the tip of Kenzis cabin and a corner of the clearing which surrounds the place.

For the first couple of days, I didn't see her coming or going. I was anxious that something might have happened or that she had came looking for me. I had to fight the urge to return, even if it was only to make sure she was safe.

I watched as someone I believed to be Zack arrived at The Zoo, being escorted towards the offices before being escorted back not long after. He soon left without an issue and I haven't noticed any of Deacons goons lingering around, which kept my mind positive during the first couple of days.

I waited... and on the third day, I finally seen a figure wander across the clearing outside of Kenzis.

I watched like a hawk from then. It was only 15 minutes later when I seen her for the first time in days, wandering slowly behind who I quickly came to realise was Darren.

It was like a direct hit of caffeine to my tired body, after what I can only describe as withdrawal from her presence.

Even though I could hardly make out anything other than her figure, my heart began to race as it does when I'm beside her. Just knowing she's okay was enough to satiate me then... but that was four days ago.

Since then, the urge to return to her is only growing more intense as the days continue to pass... but I know that if I go back, I'm only risking her safety.

Leaving without saying goodbye is the hardest thing I've done in my life...

—-One Week Ago—-

The heavy door swung closed behind Kenzi and I let go of a ragged breath, allowing the tear that I have been holding back to eventually fall.

My hand is still tingling from where she had just touched it. Knowing it'll be the last time that I get to feel her gentle and calloused hands for a while has me battling with myself...

"My girl, is everything alright?" Chester asked me carefully, reminding me that I'm not alone.

"I'm sorry, sir" I apologised, sniffling through my nose and wiping a tear away with my hand abruptly "Actually, no... it isn't. I can't ask your people, willingly or not, to risk their lives for me. We both know that what Deacon wrote in that note is a fact. Even with the weapons that we found, we don't stand a chance. We should've known it from the start"

He looked at me with confusion written in his eyes, shaking his head as though he didn't understand, but I know he does. He just doesn't want to accept it.

"I actually made my mind up this morning but don't worry, I have a plan. As crazy as it sounds... I think I can control the infected to a certain extent. I can connect with them but I don't know what that means. If I can figure it out, then maybe we could stand a chance at fighting off any of his future attacks. Either way, in the meantime it means there's no reason for him to attack your people"