Chapter 17 - The Aftermath

▂▃▅▇█▓▒░ Kenzi

Yesterday, shit went south pretty quickly... but somehow today it feels like things might start to finally be lifting a little.

It's another bright and warm day, the only sounds in the forest are that of the various birds and the odd insect rushing past my head as me and Grace both walked towards the entrance of The Zoo, greeting the people tasked with reinforcing the bullet ridden walls our my way past. Worries of a second attack and the sadness of planning arrangements for the funerals of the people we lost still weigh heavy on everyone, but there's a sense of achievement still lingering in the air thanks to our win against the attack. The odd lingering stares that are aimed towards Grace were only met with a smile from her, and that smile was often returned, surprising Grace seeing as many of the guards witnessed her attacking Erica first hand.

"Hey! Good job out there yesterday, Blink. We would've been screwed if you hadn't got the jump on those Wolves" A male guard said as he jogged towards us with a smile, his eyes lingering on Grace a little too long for my liking "Seriously- uh, it was impressive to say the least. Do you think you could maybe show me your tricks some time?"

Who the hell does this guy think he's fooling with that wonky ass smirk?

"Thanks! And sure I could, but I don't know if you could keep up with legs that skinny... Maybe you should stick to opening and closing the gate for now" She responded with a snort, clearly picking up on what he was really hinting towards.

"Ohhh, feisty! I like it. I'm Darren, by the way. People call me handsome too, so whichever is fine" He responded with a laugh, extending his hand for Grace to take

She returned the gesture and looked at me for a moment before they let go, taking a small step back from each other again. 

"This is Blink and I'm Kenzi. It's weird, but we haven't met before?" I interjected, eying him suspiciously before sizing him up in my mind.

He's similiar in height to me but a lot less muscular and more athletically built, dawning a unique combination of a black puffer vest and fitted khaki tee, with green cargo shorts and brown hiking boots. Kind of nerdy looking but a handsome dude none the less.
Honestly, he didn't seem intimidating in the slightest nor did he look as if he took my question in the wrong way, so I relaxed slightly when he passed a charming smile my way.

"A beautiful name for a beautiful girl. So what are you two? The dynamic duo or something?" He responded jokingly but in a lighthearted way.

Grace looked at me as if she'd seen a ghost which made me chuckle immediately. Clearly she's unsure of how to answer that question.

"Something like that. You didn't answer my question, how come we haven't met? I've lived here since I was a kid" I questioned him again, taking a small step closer to Grace instinctually.

"I came here a few months back! I've seen you coming and going with supplies but until recently I hadn't seen you around much to introduce myself. I figured now would be a good time to make the newbie feel comfortable though, y'know?" He explained confidently, not making me doubt his story at all.

I still cant decide if I like this dude or not

"You! What the fuck did you do to her!" A strangely familiar voice roared from behind us as he angrily stomped closer, wagging his finger towards Grace.

"Who the fuck are you!?" Gace asked him in surprise at the sudden hostility.

I however, recognise him just fine. Its hard to forget the face he pulled when I caught him conspiring against Grace with Erica.