Chapter 2 - The Traveller

▂▃▅▇█▓▒░ Grace

"We need to get out of here!" Damien yelled as he did his best to support Zack and run at the same time.

I glanced around and spotted a door that was open by a crack.

"In here! Quickly!" I commanded whilst ushering them into what looks to be an old gas station and slamming the heavy metal door closed behind us.

Me and Damien both grabbed a nearby table and propped it firmly against the entrance, followed by some sort of cabinet on top of it before settling in the corner next to zack and hoping that the sea of infected will pass without an issue. After 15 minutes of intense banging and snarling from the other side of the door, things began to settle and we all let out a collective breath of relief.

"I cant believe that worked! We just needed the extra minute to get ahead of those freaks..." I said quietly after a second, still weary of what could be lurking outside.

"You needed a minute!? You 3 idiots almost got me killed!" An unknown voice suddenly called from behind the counter on the other side of the room.

Zack instinctually grabbed his bow from his side and had an arrow at the ready in seconds, pointing it at the new presence stood in the dark corner. Damien did the same, readying his axe to add to the intimidation.

"Walk forward with your hands raised in front of you so we can see them. Don't make any quick movements or my buddy here puts an arrow through your head, got it?" I said in a direct tone, my military training kicking in out of instinct.

"Oh great, Compound rats. I should've known..." The female sighed before raising her arms lazily and walking out from behind the the counter she was using to hide behind.

She dawned a large and dark ragged trench coat with various odd pieces of different fabrics sewn on to it, seemingly as pockets. It's unique. Her deep red denims seemed damp, probably still soaking from the rain we had last night and her heavy boots are almost worn through at the tips from travelling often.

"Take off the hat" I said, curious as to what the womans face looked like.

"You want my hat?" She said in confusion.

"What!? No! I want to identify you for christ sake" I replied angrily. Taking a few steps forward and snatching the black tattered baseball cap from her head harsher than I intended.

"Be careful with that!... Please, it was my dads"

Those words stung a little. I shook my head with a sigh before handing her the hat - and taking a step back to fully take in her features.

Her face told a story, an eventful one by the looks of the scar that began on her left eyebrow and ran down to her upper cheekbone. Her hair was clearly knotted but still neatly pulled back into a loose ponytail to keep it out of the way. I looked into her deep brown eyes trying to find some sort of emotion, but shes keeping herself distant and closed off. Smart.

"Have you had close contact with the infected in the past 48 hours?" I asked, beginning the routine questions that we're all taught for these types of situations.

"Other than the ones that you guys attracted, no" She retorted with attitude.

"Have you ever been scratched or bitten?" I asked.

"No. I was coming out of a building across the street when I heard the screeching so I dipped in here as soon as they all started to swarm"

I eyed her curiously for a moment, giving her a once over as she adjusted the cap back onto her head. She may be a little rough looking but something about this girl is still strangely attractive.