Chapter 22 - The Risk

▂▃▅▇█▓▒░ Grace ░

After setting off from the city yesterday afternoon, and without stopping for rest even once, we made it back to The Zoo in a record time. Kenzi and Darren are clearly running on fumes, extremely exhausted from the long journey as they dragged their heavy heels behind me into Chester office.

I gladly let them both take the two free seats across from Chesters desk as we greeted the smiling leader who is sat on the other side.

"My children! I'm so happy to see you all back safe and well after your journey!" He exclaimed with glee "You're back much earlier than I had anticipated"

Kenzi looked to me, as if silently begging for me to explain everything due to her exhausted state.

I gladly took the lead on the situation and explained what Zack had told us about Deacons plan, as well as the fact that he offered us more help given that the opportunity arises. Chester as you can imagine, is rife with worry but as usual trying to contain it and appear composed.

We all agreed that the main thing we need, to be able to defend the community properly, is guns. Lots of them. He very quickly informed us that he has a plan, but that we will need to be well rested come tomorrow as it's a matter of urgency.

We each understood the instruction clearly and retired for the day, grabbing some food from the canteen before parting ways with Zack. I headed home with Kenzi for some much needed rest in preparation for whatever Chester is planning tomorrow.

"What do you think he has planned?" I asked Kenzi as we entered the bedroom of the cabin, lazily peeling the boots from my feet and allowing the exhaustion to finally kick in as I flopped onto the bed.

"I don't know..." She yawned, copying my actions and snuggling backwards into my side immediately, opting to be the little spoon for once "Whatever it is, it must be big if he needs us all to be present"

I nodded, wrapping my arm around her warm body and nuzzling my face into the soft hairs that wisp from the back of her neck. Her scent is intoxicating, like a soft lavender that lulls you into a state of calm.

"I'm sorry for snapping at you earlier..." I whispered, feeling myself beginning to drift off as her warmth spread to my own body.

"It's not your fault. Go to sleep, Grace" She responded quietly and sincerely.

I hummed in response to the way my name rolled off her tongue so sleepily. I'm too lazy to say anything as my mind drifted off into a silent nothingness rather quickly. After what felt like the best sleep I've had in years, I opened my crusty eyes and yawned, aiming to stretch my stiff arms out, but one was still pinned under Kenzi.

I carefully slid my arm out from beneath her head, noted that it's still early since the sun hasn't fully risen yet, and slowly got out of bed so I didn't disturb the peaceful looking girl. I couldn't resist the urge to plant a soft kiss on her forehead before I left the room.

I pushed my messy dark hair out of my face and tried to force it to stay back, but it's grown too long over the recent weeks for my liking and doesn't hold like it used to anymore. Instead it now falls to each side with a slight curl in some hideous curtain like fashion... not my usual style at all.

I really need this shit cut soon or I'm shaving it all off!

I proceeded to set the fireplace up and put some oats in a pot to boil. In the meantime, I think I should probably wash myself up a little, seeing as I skipped on that yesterday... and the day before.

Once I had sauntered outside, I stretched my arms in the air above me, enjoying the cool morning breeze and taking a deep breath of the crisp smelling oxygen that the forest provides this early. Thankfully the bright sun isn't seeming to bother me too much for now, probably since I'm so well rested, so I took the opportunity to really soak in the greenery surrounding the small cabin for a brief minute. Afterwards, I slipped my T-shirt off so that I was just wearing my sports bra and boxers, leaning forward to take the lid off from the large well.