Chapter 1 - The Beginning

▂▃▅▇█▓▒░ Grace

Another day, another fuckin' job to do. It never seems to end when you're a member of the compound, whether youre just a citizen or a soldier like me, or my friends Gonzo and Stubs. There's always someone telling you where to go and what to do... But its the price we pay for safety. It would be ridiculous to complain about privilege when it's a lot worst in other places.

Inside the huge concrete walls back home are guns to protects us, food to feed us and plenty of fresh water thanks to the purifiers we've installed in the local river. Its been a safe haven since the early days of the outbreak when I was only 9. Sure, supplies all work on a credit system and its pretty harsh for civ's to get rations sometimes but Its heaven on earth compared to how those who live outside the walls survive. We can at least sleep knowing we're safe from those freaks.

Im one of the lucky kids who had military parents when shit went to hell, so I've lead a bit of an easier life than some others inside The compound. Well, some see it that way, but I don't... far from it actually.

My parents died when I was 12 years old during one of the earliest expansion missions for The Compounds walls. All I know is that they went out with their designated groups to clear the surrounding area and out of 15 people on duty that day, 3 returned alive.
Since then I've been raised by Deacon, the now Chief of the settlement and basically my father figure. He has ensured that I've lived an easier life than other orphaned runts who fell into the militaries strict care regime, seeing as he was my fathers closest friend. Deacon has raised me to be a strong yet agile scavenger. Ensuring that I was firm and ready for what the world has become since the cordycepts took hold. He finally allowed me to enter the official ranks at 17.
Its since been 3 years and I've lost count of how many times I've been over that wall on duty, how many infected I've killed, but I'll never lose count of every person that I've lost to those monsters whilst I've been in charge...

7.

"Blink! I said we have contact!" I heard zack whisper urgently as he pulled me out of my daze and down behind a brick wall .

"Gonzo, chill! It's only one person, we can handle it" Damien, my closest friend and teammate replied, matching Zacks hushed volume .

We all remained crouched behind the wall, peering over at the figure lurking in one of the shop windows.

"Shut up Stubs. That doesnt mean there Isn't more hanging around... I've never done a city run, you know this. I want in and out with minimum contact" Zack replied arrogantly as he clutched his bow with an arrow at the ready, never taking his eyes off the person.

"They're probably just scavenging like us. You know the big groups avoid the cities, theres basically nothing left that's worth the risk" I stated, rolling my eyes and turning to sit with my back against the wall. I lit up a half smoked cigarette that I had saved from this morning and took a big drag.

Ive done this job plenty of times by now, and know the route like the back of my hand, which is why Zacks caution towards the place annoys me a little bit. He's new to this 'leader' thing though, so I guess I dont blame him... just his arrogance towards my experience at times.
You'd think that other people would be an issue when you do a scavenging run, but that's not the case in areas like this. Thats why I like doing these city runs. Most people have picked it clean and moved on plus the majority of infected have pushed outwards looking for their next victim.

"Im the leader of this group and I say we stay put! End of story, Blink" He stated as he stood up and faced me with a scowl.

"Damn Gonzo, who shit in your weetabix this morning. I didn't propose anything so pull your panties up and quit your whining" I replied before taking the final drag of my cig and flicking it at his shoes, causing Damien to snigger before trying to cover it with a cough "Now, sit back down before you get us seen asshole"