Chapter 6 - The Darkness

▂▃▅▇█▓▒░ Grace

It's only been a few days since Chester cleared out this little room that I now call home and allowed me to live in it, but I've got to admit, it's cozy.

Its small and fairly dull, given that the singular old hanging light is on its last legs, but it's all I need. If anything the dull light is what's best for me. Ive got a bed that's warm and dry. Hell, I even have a few cabinets that I've managed to fill with the odd hoodie and a couple of loose denims! Courtesy of Kenzis' wardrobe of course.
There's just enough room for me to stay active since I'm not doing daily drills or running PT every day... but no matter how hard I try to distract myself from reality or stay busy, I miss Damon. I miss my life. I even miss Zack, if you can believe it.

Things just haven't been the same without having Zack around to tease over his pointless shit or Damons obnoxious laughter filling the silence. We had a good bond between us, even though Zack is a complete noob to the team. He has a loyalty to his role that overrules his ridiculous or annoying quirks.
I've been trying to wrap my head around the whole situation these past few days but I just don't understand why Deacon would've lied to me about something so serious. After my parents died I looked to him as a father but now... well, now I dont know who to look toward for guidance.

"Rise and shine!" Kenzi sang as she opened the door to my room and threw a bread roll, donking me directly on the forehead with an audible thud.

"What the fuck!? It's stale Kenzi. You could've taken my eye out!" I exclaimed dramatically as I rubbed a few lingering crumbs from my brow and sat up to lean against the wall.

"You've got a terrible catch reflex" She laughed.

"I just woke up!"

I dusted the crumbs off of my matress and shook my head at the mess, trying hard not to give in to her contagious laughter.

"Oh, come on! It's just a few crumbs... Plus you've got to admit it, that was a damn good shot" She chuckled whilst taking a few steps closer to me and letting the door swing shut behind her.

Even in the dull light of this tiny room her smile shines so bright that it lightens my mood. Recently it's been moments like this that help remind me I've made the correct decision about where I belong, for now that is.

"Thanks- For the food... Not the mess. Just so we're clear on that" I replied, finally giving into her infectious smile and laughing along

"Yeah, I'm sorry about that. I didn't anticipate the impact having such a crumbly outcome"

"It's fine- But why do I have the pleasure of you throwing my breakfast in my face anyway?" I asked as I began to exit the bed.

I threw the thin covers aside and lazily stood up, momentarily forgetting that I was only wearing a loose pair of boxers and a vest. I stretched my arms up above my head to loosen the stiff muscles before opening my eyes suddenly in realisation.

"Shit! Sorry- I uh forgot. I was too warm last night so I uh- you get the point" I rambled as I wrapped a blanket around my waist.

"Dont worry about it... Just meet me at the front gate in 10 and grab some stuff before you leave. We'll be out 'til sundown today"

And with that she was gone. She made an effort to avoid eye contact before scurrying out the door which only added to my embarrassment. I mentally facepalmed and got dressed quickly, opting for the black hoodie since we're obviously going out somewhere, before grabbing my bag and slinging my gun over my shoulder.
Once I had packed a few provisions and slid on a pair of arm guards I headed for the gate. I reached the rather empty courtyard and scanned around for Kenzi but couldn't see her anywhere. I hesitated at first but decided to ask one of the guards if they knew where she might be considering she told me to meet her here.