Chapter 12 - The Void

▂▃▅▇█▓▒░ Grace

The world has a dark sense of humour.

Just as you start to build something good it comes and rips everything away again. Imagine it like this; every time you start a new chapter of a book, the rain comes along and ruins the pages... Well, that's my fucking life by the looks of things.

"Hey! Don't shut down on me, please" Kenzi said as she sat down next to me by the fireplace.

"I don't know what else to do except wait" I replied bleakly.

It didn't seem like she knew what to respond to that, so instead she swirled round to lay on her back with her head comfortably in my lap. It's only been a few hours since I was bitten, but I can already feel something working it's way through my veins like a prickly little ball of electric currents.

"Don't let me fall asleep" She said softly as she closed her eyes and took my arm, laying it over her stomach and resting her hand on top for comfort.

"I won't..." I replied, unable to stop the smile from forming on my face for a moment.

In the time it took me to stop admiring the moment, Kenzi had fallen asleep. Undoubtably she's exhausted from the last few days and I can't bring myself to wake her. I know it's dangerous but I'm sure I can let her rest for a while before I start to turn... She's going to need the energy.

"I'm sorry" I whispered as though she could hear me, taking the quiet moment to speak freely "I'm sorry I fucked up again... I'm sorry that I'm dragging you through all of the bullshit that I've caused. You don't deserve any of this"

I moved my free hand to the side of her face, brushing a few loose strands of hair to the side as the tears finally threatened to spill from my eyes. After taking in her features one last time, I took a deep breath and wiped my cheeks before the salty water had the chance to drop, pulling my lips tightly together to prevent a sob from escaping.

"Fuck- Okay, C'mon. You've got this shit Grace!" I whispered to myself as I slipped a blanket under Kenzis head and wriggled out from underneath her "I've got this"

It didn't take me long to realise that asking Kenzi to wait this out and finish it for me isn't what she needs in her life. I gathered a few things, nothing of necessity since I won't need it come tomorrow, and walked towards the front door. I opted to leave my rifle and any ammo in case Kenzi can ever find a use for it or trade it for something more useful to her - I only really picked up the few remaining smokes that she found for me last night.
I took a final glance at the calmly sleeping girl laying in front of the fireplace. The amber glow made the definition of her muscular arms and strong cheekbones pop, helping to permanently engrain the memory of her into my mind.

"Stay strong for me, Kenz" I whispered

With that final statement I closed the door behind me and headed in no particular direction. I just want to get away from here so that Kenzi doesn't have to do what she did for Dee all over again. I had no right expecting or asking her to do that for me, so I'll figure it out myself.
I took my shades off and sighed, throwing them away to the side since one of the lenses got shattered during my scuffle with Zack. I won't exactly be needing them pretty soon anyway, so it isn't much of an issue. I was making good distance through the woods and soon enough I found myself back at the buildings that we used as a hiding spot from the infected who attacked us earlier.

"Jesus-FUCK! What the-" I yelled in pain as a ripple of electricity suddenly enveloped my brain in a spiked blanket, causing me to crouch to the ground in the middle of the street as I temporarily lost my balance and clutched my head in agony.