Chapter 3 - The Journey

▂▃▅▇█▓▒░ Kenzi

"Stupid fuckin'- let me go, dude! IM WALKING! I dont need a guide dog!" I yelled frustratedly at the armed guard who was tasked to walk me a mile out from the wall, to ensure I left the area with no tricks.

"Shut up. You're lucky to have been allowed to leave. Normally the chief doesnt take too kindly to strays once they've seen the inner layout" The older woman mumbled and finally let go of her tight grip on my arm.

I glanced back quickly, watching as the gates got further and further with each step we took. Thank god I'm away from there... Ever since what happened to my family, I can't stand their presence and rule over the wastes.

"Look, I want to leave as much as you want me gone so just fuck off back to your prison" I huffed after a further 5 minutes of painful silence.

She looked at me for a moment, tightening her grip on her rifle as she battled with her thoughts.

"Fine, but you better get out of my sight in 20 seconds or I'll shoot your sorry ass myself. Got it?"

I sent her a sarcastic smile, tightened the straps on the small school style bag they gave me and walked at a quicker pace than before, not bothering to grace the bitch with a goodbye.

Within minutes I was trudging through the quickly thickening woods, my nerves beginning to sink a little as I became unsure of what direction I have to go in order to make it back before dark. Even if I did know, there wouldn't be enough time anyway.
I kept pushing through the overgrown greenery, cautious of the noise that I was making with every twig that snapped or bramble bush that shook. Eventually I spotted what looked like the tip of a pointed roof above the near distant treeline. The overgrowth was so thick it was blocking a proper view of the bulding but if theres a roof, its standing, and thats good enough for tonight.

I battled through the last of the shrubs into the much clearer courtyard area of what I can now see is an old church. I took in the sharp edges of the tall pointed roof in awe. The crumbling and unkept architecture is still a marvel with its broken sculptures carved into the side and what remains of the shattered tinted glass windows. I walked up to the large wooden double doors and pushed them gently, as silently as possible before poking my head inside.

After surveying the first floor and checking each room carefully, I wandered upstairs to repeat my actions, noting that the small building is clear. I pushed one of the broken benches strewn across the main hall firmly up against the door to ensure no one and nothing can enter... At least without alerting me first.

"Fuckin' assholes" I sighed in rememberance of the soldiers from the compound as I plopped to the ground and took my bag off.

Now that I'm here for the night I cant help but wonder if those scavengers knew I would be papped off with hardly anything and no direction what so ever.

"Why did you even believe that chick? What the fuck is wrong with you..." I asked myself as I pulled a bottle of water from the small assault pack, followed by one of the unlabeled silver cans.

I used the small pocket knife that I keep in my coat to open the can after giving it a firm shake, spilling some of the contents in the progress and grimicing at the brown sludge which looked barely palatable.

"Beautiful... They couldn't even stretch to a can of fruit or something?"

I ate the cold dog food like substance in disgust, but since I havent ate in almost 2 days, I'm not going to just let it go to waste. I followed every mouthful with a sip of water to try and wash it down quicker until finally it was gone. I couldnt help but think of how sincere that girl seemed to be about helping me, only for me to be papped away with maybe a day or two of supplies and treated like dirt. I should've known not to trust one of them, I could've been back at my shack by now planning a new run.