Chapter 5 - The Search

▂▃▅▇█▓▒░ Kenzi

"PSSST- Hey! Wake up! There's something outside..." I heard a familiar voice whisper in a worried tone.

I opened my eyes and shot up, blinking heavily through a blurry haze before standing and grabbing my wooden staff without hesitating. I didn't think twice before cracking the door open to see which trap was being triggered, but I can't get a clear view from here and if I leave it too long it'll only attract danger.

"Stay here" I demanded before slipping out to get a better look, spotting the source of the noise immediately through the morning fog.

"Not again..." I whispered before making my way carefully towards the infected who seems to be tangled up in some of my barbed wire.

It didn't look like they had been infected for very long as they were still lively, thrashing and turning in the sharp metal coils. I used the sharpened end of my stick to put them out of their misery before twirling it back to my side with a heavy sigh and heading back to the shack, making a mental note to move the body later.

"It's dealt with" I said sitting my stick down and taking a seat beside the embers still smouldering from last night.

Blink nodded and sat adjacent to me, rubbing the side of her temples softly which made me notice that she isn't wearing her shades. The daylight breaking through the windows must be irritating her.

"Put your glasses on before you pass out or something"

She looked up at me with a smirk, her green eyes squinting but somehow managing to hold my stare captive for a moment. She looked tired. Not that she hasn't since the moment I met her, but it looks like it's been a particularly rough night.

"Aww does someone care about little ol' me all of a sudden?" She teased before slipping her shades out of her hoodie pocket and putting them on.

"Shut up. I just can't be bothered dragging your smug ass all the way back home, obviously" I snorted jokingly in response.

It took a second but I noticed Blink didn't laugh with me, instead her smirk fell into a hard to read line.

"Home... I don't know if I have one of those anymore" She sighed.

"You're not going back?" I asked carefully, sensing how on edge she was about the situation.

There was a moment of silence, almost as though she was determining the answer before she finally spoke again.

"I can't! I mean... If I do then I won't be able to sleep until I ask Deacon why he lied!" She said panicked "But if I do that, then what do you think he would do to stop me telling everyone?"

I looked at her with a sorry gaze, unsure of how to reply as I naturally thought of the worst possible outcome. Instead of saying anything I reached over and placed my hand on her shoulder to give it a gentle squeeze.

"Do you think Chester would let me stay for a while? I-I can work off any payment for my board... I just can't go back there" She pleaded, breaking the heavy silence.

"I can ask but I don't want to make any promises, Blink. It seems as though he likes you... but with you being connected to The Compound so closely, I can't say for sure" I replied, a little hurt that I can't give her the answer she's searching for.

She nodded and we decided it's best to get ready and head out after some food. Once our hunger was sated we left straight for The Zoo, only this time I gave Grace a loan of some clothes so she didn't draw as much unwanted attention to us. It was just a loose pair of blue denims to replace her black cargos, held up by her thick military issue belt and a mint green tee to top it off. At least she doesn't look like Compound scum anymore.
The short journey through the thick and eerie forest was quiet as usual, leading us to the main entrance of The Zoo.