Chapter One Hundred Twenty-Four: Ready

Start from the beginning

Aryan hesitated for a moment and then took the apple. He side-eyed me as he said, "You're not going to let this go, are you?"

I grinned, shaking my head silently. Then, watched as he polished off the apple and buried the core in the sand. I was still hungry but drank a little more water to squash the craving.

Despite the sand's cool feel, I laid against it. I stared up at the stars. I've never seen a sky so clear and perfect. I've certainly never seen it in Curio. I sighed, as I gazed at a shooting star streaming across the night. I was thankful that the wind was gentle. I would rather not have another sandstorm ruin such an amazing view.

I heard Aryan rustling through the bag and pulling out the tent that was stuffed on the bottom. He laid it out, setting it up, but I wasn't ready to go inside yet. I was exhausted but wanted to admire the scenery for a while longer.

Aryan seemed to sense my desire. So, after tossing the remainder of our things inside, he laid down beside me.

"You know," I began. "I never thought I would ever be here. Admiring such beauty."

"What's the big deal?" my familiar queried nonchalantly. "You act like you didn't have a sky in Curio."

I laughed a little, knowing him well enough that he really was wondering and not chastising. "Life in Curio was... difficult. I didn't have much, and sometimes, that included time to just admire what was around me. I did my best, but for a long time I just had to worry about surviving."

"Nobody helped you?" he asked, and I could see his mind absorbing every word I said so attentively.

"Well, if you remember, my family left me when I was five. And I think others could sense that I was... different. Many people stood away from me. Shunned me..." I stared back up at the stars, silent for a moment as I recalled being called: freak, orphan, loser. I remembered the way other children would just throw scraps at me, and having no choice, I would take them home shameless and hungry, causing them to torment me further.

I could feel Aryan shaking with anger. "Ridiculous. It's no wonder the people of Curio couldn't stick it out in Arcanum. They don't even know how to treat a goddess."

I squeezed his hand momentarily, feeling that his normal warmth was chilled. "Don't get me wrong. There were a few people who were kind to me." I smiled, heating up my body to keep us both warm as I pressed my arm against his. "Ms. Lynn was the local librarian in town. She taught me to read and helped me get every book in my library. She taught me everything I know." I felt so grateful as I recalled the person that was essentially my mother. "She even showed me how to plant, and eventually, I could trade what I grew with the people at our local farmers' market. They were apprehensive at first, but with Ms. Lynn's support, they eventually came to look out for too."

"Why not just live with her?" Aryan asked, curious. "It seems like she's not a completely shitty person."

I laughed, surprised. "You really think poorly of Curio people, don't you?"

"I haven't seen evidence otherwise." I could feel the eyeroll without having to look away from the sky.

"I think it doesn't matter what side of the Veil you live on." I started. "Some beings are cruel, and some are wonderful. Ms. Lynn was the latter." I smiled, thinking of my mentor fondly. "But I couldn't live with her. She was terminally ill. And she knew it. So, instead, she taught me the skills I needed to live."

I closed my eyes, perfectly envisioning her mess of dark curls and those bright eyes that cared for me so delicately.

"Good." I heard Aryan shifting in the sand as he spoke. "Someone had to. Though, she could have given you a greater sense of self-preservation."

I turned to look at him, feeling a smirk on my lips, but suddenly, Aryan secured me in his arms—one hand under my knees while the other supported my upper body. The blood rushed to my cheeks instantly. "Aryan, what are you—"

His voice was deep as he laughed while his eyebrows rose by my reaction. "That's new." Aryan half-smiled at me—one cheek revealing his rare dimples. "Time to sleep. I can feel your exhaustion. It's exasperating. Don't push yourself. Otherwise, I'll have to carry you all the way to Zephyr, and that'd be a pain."

His words were harsh, but I could hear the playfulness in them, which only made me blush harder. Finding that I couldn't counter effectively, I let him place me down cautiously in the tent. I sat up, pouting a bit while I watched him zip our campsite.

Something has definitely shifted between us. Perhaps it was just that we've really become good friends, but even my naivete was chiding me. Though I didn't mind our closeness, I was shocked that Aryan seemed to have loosened up a bit too. He laid down, arms under his head as he closed his eyes. Despite the darkness of the tent, I could see Aryan shiver.

Feeling a spark of courage, I raised my body temperature more, and wrapped my arms around him, hoping this could help relieve Aryan's chill. Afterall, I learned after our first meeting that he didn't care for the cold. It was probably because he was a dragon. But he also served the goddess of flames and retribution. I suppose you couldn't have a delicate constitution when it came to heat.

He stiffened beneath me, and I was delighted by the reaction after the way he surprised me moments ago. Feeling content, and suddenly, unable to move another inch, I was lulled to sleep—listening to Aryan's steady breathing.