Chapter Forty-Eight: The Tale of Seraphina

Samara

"Niobe, Ryo," I called them as I slowly sipped and nibbled on the refreshments that were provided. "Could you tell me a bit about Seraphina? I'd like to know more about her if I can."

"All life begins and ends with Lady Seraphina." Ryo started—her bark brown orbs were steady as she met my eyes.

Niobe smiled at Ryo, patting her shoulder as she nodded. "If you want it simplified, what Ryo said is correct, but... that's not all you need to know about her." Niobe poured more tea in my cup before I could stop her. "Shall I tell you a story as we wait for supper?"

I glanced at my companion. He shrugged like he could care less if he learned more about the goddess of all creation.

I turned my full focus over to the older handmaiden as I nodded. As Niobe began her tale, my mind spun with the images her words weaved. "First, there was Seraphina." She began, her voice soothing. "Lonely, with only massive power and a vast emptiness, she created the world.

"But she knew a dark planet was no place for a being like herself. So, she created the sun, moon, and stars to gaze upon and light her way through the darkness. As she wandered, she realized the world she built was desolate and barren. So, she created plants and animals to fill it and make it beautiful. And for a while, she was happy—taking care of all the living things she had created.

"But it was not enough." Niobe wore a sad smile as she continued. "She could not quench the hole that was consuming her being. So, she made humankind to give herself a sense of purpose. And... for a while, she was happy. She enjoyed teaching mortals how to live and survive. How to be.

"But soon, she began to realize that humans were self-sufficient. And while they respected her as their creator, they also feared her. And that fear manifested itself in many forms: rage, jealousy, vanity, gluttony, pride, lust, and sorrow to name a few.

"But even as the goddess saw this, she still stood by her creations. She did not forsake them but continued to love and nurture humankind and all the other beings on her world. However, she would quickly learn that the beings she created lived very short lives. With that in mind, she created a place where beings could rest eternally—known only as the World Below. Even though Lady Seraphina invented a place the souls of her creations could go after death, she was disheartened. For she could not find her equal—a companion to accompany her throughout all eternity.

"As the years passed, the goddess grew tired from the endless cycle of care her creations desired. She knew she could not simply abandon them. So, she began to make her children—gods and goddesses that could keep her company, but also keep balance in the world that she had created. She allowed her children to gain control over a single dominion—water, air, earth, fire, light, darkness, and humanity—and all that it entailed. However, creation would be solely hers to wield. And so, as Ryo said, all life begins and ends with Lady Seraphina."

I felt as if I came out of a trance as Niobe finished the tale of Seraphina. So even the goddess of creation gets lonely. I thought sadly, losing myself again. Aryan's gentle touch to my forearm refocused me, saving me from myself.

"Wow," I blinked, trying to wash away my obvious awe. "Seraphina sounds like an incredible being."

I looked at Aryan, gaging his interest before turning my gaze back to Niobe. His amber eyes were keenly watching the handmaiden—searching for any signs of treachery.

"That she is and more." Niobe's smile reached her eyes as her kind face seemed to find me worthy.

Before Niobe could say another word, Taja walked through the sliding door. "Who's hungry?"