Chapter Eighty: Snapdragons

Aryan

The woman is not subtle.

As hard as she tries to blend in, Samara can't help but stick out. And even worse, she's awkward as hell about it. Her eyes shifted side to side, and she squeezed my hand for reassurance every couple of minutes the longer the people ooh'd and awed at her handiwork.

As we walked along the edge of the path, I could see that it wasn't just the dead meadow that Samara brought back to life. But it seemed to be every plant within the boundaries of Sky Forest from what I can tell.

"You know," I started, somewhat amused. "The more you do that, the shadier you look."

"What do you mean?" she finally slowed down enough to look at the village.

"Take a good look around." I put my hand out at the villagers. "They are gushing over the plants, but meanwhile, we're sulking around the edges of the—" My eyes caught a glimpse of something weaving in and out around the trees as we walked. I narrowed them cautiously, wondering if it was just a trick of the light or...

No. This is definitely an 'or' situation. I sighed internally, looking down at Samara as she raised one delicate black eyebrow at me.

When she turned, the shadows were still. Nothing seemed to move at all within the forest. "Something interesting out there?"

"Nope." I lied, not wanting to worry her when I wasn't sure what it was I saw. "Just admiring your handiwork, which, by the way, is my point." She focused her gaze back on me as I continued. "If we keep pretending like we're not even a little curious about it, the villagers are bound to catch on that you're their dear Lady Izara."

Samara slowed to a stop and slid her hand out of mine. She clenched her fists for a moment, but despite the seemingly angry gesture, her emotions read more sad to me. In fact, it was a slow spiral into that deep sorrow from when we left Arctic Springs. It was brief and fleeting, like she was shoving it somewhere so deep down that even I couldn't feel it.

"But I don't want that." She said quietly. "I don't want to disillusion the people into thinking I'm Izara. Sure, I have her powers. Her soul, even, but.. I'm not..." her green eyes were strangely piercing with agony. "...her."

I scratched my head, confused. "Well, obviously not, but why do you care if they think so. It's only temporary. Hell," I shrugged nonchalantly. "It might even be helpful. With everything we have to do, wouldn't anonymity be better?"

"Is it though?" she looked far away for a moment—like she was recalling something. "I've been anonymous my whole life. Hardly anyone has ever acknowledged my existence, let alone my worth. And the few that do... Well, they all leave eventually. My parents, the kind librarian who schooled me. Y—" she stopped herself and changed course. "So, what's so wrong with wanting to be recognized as myself in a world that finally sees me? Although, I suppose..." she began slowly, her gaze looking between the villagers and the forest. "They aren't... seeing me, are they?"

Before I could say something, another shadow crossed the corner of my eye. Samara turned again, perceptible as ever to my expression.

"That's strange." She began walking a little further along the edge of the village, stopping at a withered blossom. "Why are these not growing?" Samara's face softened as she gave the helpless plant a smile before she hovered her hand above it. "There, now." She said quietly, victoriously as the flower began to flourish into a bundle of blooms that almost reminded me of the foxglove that hag of a goat Janus gave me in Ash Valley.

I crinkled my nose. "What is that?"

"Snapdragons." Samara said with a grin as she swiped a finger along one of the pink petals. "The flower for you, perhaps?"

I scoffed. "Doubtful."

"Oh," she scowled, running along a hidden path in the forest that revealed another dead snapdragon plant. "Do the snapdragons need a little more help?" Samara pondered as she made the plant bloom yellow instead of pink this time.

"I don't know, but maybe we shouldn't—" Samara began to run off deeper onto the narrow path as she kept bringing snapdragons to life. "Samara!" I yelled after her.

"There's no harm in helping them grow, now is there, Aryan?" she asked, innocently.

I felt a tinge of my resolve weaken at her request. "Ugh, fine, but stay close."

"Where could I possibly go?" she smiled, teasingly. "Besides, the path is clear. We can head back to the village as soon as I do a few more. Ok?"

I grunted in acknowledgment and followed her around as we made our way deeper into the forest. It seemed like there was a never-ending supply of dead flowers on this path. Not exactly a good sign.

After a few more minutes, Samara spoke up again. "By the way," she smiled at me from three feet away as her hand began doing its planty revival thing. "Why is this place called Sky Forest? It's not like it has any attributes from above. If anything, it's more colorful."

"Well, that's because—"

"Shall I show you, Lady Izara?" a high-pitched woman's voice asked just before she wrapped her arms around Samara's chest and began dragging her into the tree the woman was half submerged in.