Chapter One Hundred Five: Bold

Samara

"So, basically, the mermaids want us dead." Aryan groaned, sitting beneath the ruins.

            "Some of them, yes." I agreed, solemnly.

            "Well, this will just be a breeze then." He said sarcastically. "Mermaids are notoriously fierce warriors."

            "I noticed."

            He sighed exasperated. The way he slumped along the wall, looking out towards the sea clued me in to more than his frustration. I walked over, his amber eyes following me as I glided along the wall next to him.

            He squinted his eyes at me curiously while I smiled—a bold thought occurring to me. "You have weird energy." My familiar declared, suspiciously. "A strange feeling is coming off you."

            I giggled a bit, laid my legs straight out and patted my lap. "I think you need a nap."

            Aryan stared at me in disbelief. "You can't be serious."

            "Why not?" I asked sweetly.

            "You JUST told me that there are mermaids coming for us. Why would I take a nap?"

            "That's true, but we also have to travel underwater, find Fausta, and come back to the surface." I replied, matter-of-factly. "Sounds exhausting to me. We might as well regain our strength beforehand, right?" I patted my lap again, eyebrows raised in amusement.

            Aryan rolled his eyes, and for a moment, I thought he was just going to dismiss me, but swiftly, he shifted, laying his head on my lap. And thought it was my idea, my heart raced like Aryan did it of his own accord.

            "Fine, but only for a few minutes." He said, getting comfortable and closing his eyes.

            It didn't take Aryan long to fall asleep. His light snoring, making me smile. To think there was a time when wouldn't sleep around me, and now, he's here resting on my lap. His expression was so peaceful, and I couldn't resist running my fingers through his burgundy-purple hair. The strands were softer than I thought they would be and still damp from travel. I twirled it softly in my fingertips, smiling. I enjoyed this moment, loving the feeling our closeness has brought us.

            I stared out at the ocean, my mind splintering in a hundred different thoughts about our entire situation. My feelings. Our goal. The curse. Arcanum. Aryan...

            I stared at Aryan again, feeling a sense of guilt, but finding it harder and harder to not show my affection for him. How I managed it up to now, I'm not sure.

            Thinking of affection, made my mind turn to Kai, and I hoped that those sad eyes would disappear from the serene god, but seeing him like that, made me wonder if he knew something I did not.